Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express blacklist

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express blacklist

@Anonymous wrote:

Tried calling and reason with them but unless I pay there is no other way. The reason is that I owe them roughly $15k from my previous marriage and I got stuck with the bill. So, I'd rather wait it out than spending $15k

Ummm....with that high bal owing, I wouldn't plan on ever getting in the door even as a AU...It's a legal debt and they have no obligation to "reason" with you..I would personally still make an agreement to pay it off in monthly basis.  Your seriously lucky they haven't sued you (they are known to do that).

Good Luck

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I def lucked out on the suing part just because South Carolina stats of limitations was 3 years , but yeah otherwise I would've expected to be sued in no time.

Message 12 of 20
mustang2015

Here's my story...after 26 years as a Platinum card holder (I Loved that card and American Express), my business went down in flames in 2008, the balance I was unable to pay was over $100k. My card was canceled in 2008 by Amex.  The next 4 years were an absolute nightmare for me financially.  In 2012 a company I went to work for tried to add an Amex corporate card on their account in my name, it was a no go!  In 2015, my business partner who has been with Amex as long as I had been ,sent in a request to get me an Amex Platinum Corporate card, Amex sent me the card 2 days later! no issues at all. I am tempted everyday to pull the trigger and apply for a personal platinum card, but I am afraid it would trigger something that would mess up the corporate card.  One other data point.  My wife, who was on my personal Amex account that was cancelled in 2008, applied and was approved for a green card and Delta Platinum Skymiles card 3 years ago, they backdated her account to the date I opened my account with them in 1983. She had never had her own account, just was an AU on my old account.  So now more than ever I want to apply or possibly have my wife add me as an AU, just scared to death that I am going to mess things up.  Anyway, I will probably pull the trigger on and app sometime next year.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no idea how the business sides works, I only have ever used personal and my aunt (by marriage) worked for them for years Smiley Happy Too bad she passed away in 07, I would ask...

Message 14 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

If Amex is unwilling to settle for less, not sure if you inquired about that Op, then it might be best to move on for awhile and concentrate on your other cards. You could always try getting a cobranded Amex from another ccc that rides the network. Good luckSmiley Happy
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I completely forgot about their side store cc's. I believe macys has one that's joint with the Amex . Cool thanks for the advice I'll try getting in that route see if it works .. keep you guys posted
Message 16 of 20
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Macy's Amex is not underwritten by Amex. It's underwritten by DSFS Bank, which I believe is a subsidiary of CitiBank. Amex is only the payment processing network that Macy's uses. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Totally forgot about the co-brands...definitely worth a shot Smiley Happy 

Message 18 of 20
happypill
Valued Contributor

If you have $15k unpaid to them, I'd guess at least 10 or 15 years before they will approve another card for you.  I burned them around 2009 (also related to expenses for a business that went down).  I have applied a few times and each time was denied without HP for previous card cancelled.  Starting a few months ago, I started getting results when using their online pre-qualify with a fixed rate, but when I applied, it was still denied for prior closed accounts.  We'll see what happens in a couple of years at it hits the 10 year mark.  They have a long memory.

Message 19 of 20
drboxing
Established Contributor

I burned AMEX in 2007. My wife has AMEX and in times past she attempted to add me as an AU they would deny it.  This past June, she tried again and they allowed me on as an AU. When I set up the account online they list me as a member since 1994 which is when I got my first AMEX card. So I think they eventually take you off the blacklist.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.