Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express blue Cardi

tag
elaine829
Frequent Contributor

American Express blue Cardi

Just received a preapproval offer in the mail for a American Express blue card. What type of credit score do you have to have for this card. Has any one had any baddies on credit report when they got this card. Is this card worth gettiing? WHAT CREDIT BUREAU DO THEY PULL? Tell me Your experience with this card.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: American Express blue Cardi

I would avoid AMEX if you have any negatives on your report. Some have slipped through so if you have an inq to burn have at it. As far as the AMEX BLue Cash goes the decent rewards don't kick in until you spend 6500 bucks. I have their lowest rate on mine and it is my highest APR by far at 17+%. Good perks spotty CRA reporting. If you want an AMEX it's a good card.

Message 2 of 9
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

Amex has their own internal scoring system.  I think this can either be a positive or negative depending on one's circumstances.

If you want the card I would go ahead and app.  If you read my previous post I never came up as "preselected" through he Amex site but I cold apped and was approved.

Also depending on your Fico- I wouldn't app unless my score was above around 680-690 or so- that is the cut-off for "good" credit.  I think that there are some that have been approved slightly below this score range but I'm pretty sure that their reports were in pretty decent shape even though their score was not.

They pulled Experian for me.

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also depending on your Fico- I wouldn't app unless my score was above around 680-690 or so- that is the cut-off for "good" credit.  I think that there are some that have been approved slightly below this score range but I'm pretty sure that their reports were in pretty decent shape even though their score was not.

Not so fast there.  My FICOs pulled from here were 730 right before I applied for Blue Sky 2 months ago with spotless credit, a year and a half history with 2 revolving cards reporting with 0 balances (citi had a 9700 limit and discover had a 1000 limit) and a student loan with an $800  balance and was instantly denied.  PLUS they pulled all 3 reports.  They do this if you have no account with them already . So thats malarkey about the 680-690 scores, maybe Blue Sky is harder to get than the other Blue/Blue Cash???. In any case, I would be very cautious. Ive heard these Blue cards are hard to get. 3 hard pulls across the board sucks for a decline.  However I just got approved for the Delta Gold AMEX, probably has less strict underwriting standards than Blue Sky. But good luck!!! Let us know how it goes Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

Point taken Jolly Roger.

IMHO I wouldn't app with a score below about 680-690 but that doesn't mean others wouldn't roll the dice and I take it Jolly Roger agrees.  A higher score would greatly increase your chances of getting the card you want- it doesn't necessarily mean you would be approved either though.

It has been posted before- your Fico score alone does not guarantee approval on anything- it just increases your chances.

This is just in my humble opinion and that's just what I would do. 

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 5 of 9
elaine829
Frequent Contributor

I went ahead applied online today got approved, but it didnt give any details. All it says is congratrations you are approved you should get card within 7 to 10 days. So do i have to wait until i get my card to see my credit limit and interest rate that i got approve for. 

Message 6 of 9
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

You can call and speak with a CSR who can give you the details. Initial lines with them are usually under 5k

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 7 of 9
elaine829
Frequent Contributor

How does ths card report  on credit report?

Message 8 of 9
smc733
Valued Contributor

@elaine829 wrote:

How does ths card report  on credit report?

It should report as a revolving credit line, with your limit and balance posted.  Similar to your standard Visa cards.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.