cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express canceled accounts...

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: American Express canceled accounts...

@Anonymous wrote:

How does the back date work? I've never had an Amex before...would they backdate it to my oldest cc opened? Is that how it works? Thanks in advance

No, it relates how subsequent Amex cards are backdated to the first Amex.

1) You open your first Amex, say Nov 2015

2)  Then, any other Amex you open will appear to have been opened in 2015 as well.   For the month, they use the month that you apply, so if you applied in Jan 2017, that card would appear to have been opened in Jan 2015, making it older than your first card

Message 31 of 60
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

Why do stories like this turn into people hating on AMEX?

Not to call OP a liar, but something else HAS to be going on for AMEX to have done this. If not, OP should have followed the steps to follow up or give what AMEX has asked and chances are, they would reinstate the account(s). If not, then he has been deemed too risky and they have every right to freeze accounts as they are doing what they need to protect their business. 

Responses like "this is why I won't get an AMEX" are just silly. It's not like AMEX picks random names out of a hat and chooses to freeze those accounts.

Yes, but it's not only Amex that suffers from this.  Issuers get reputations here (Barclays is very inq sensitive for example) and a handful of stories showing the issuer exhibiting that behavior is enought to constitutute solid and forever proof.  So Amex hates balances (and a list of 400 other things).   Now SOME of it may be true, and some issuers may indeed be harder to work with than others, but the samples here are small and biased (more people have Amex cards than have Small State 7th National Bank, so you will hear more shutdown stories) and, as you say, incomplete.    But if people choose to stay away from Amex, that's fine, shouldn't worry you either!

ETA: Friendly Supportive and Respectful guidelines probably don't allow "Not to call the OP a liar" when the intent of the sentence appears to be just that.

Message 32 of 60
mkm77
Regular Contributor

Everything I wrote is 100% true. We have had issues with them before as well. The only reason we kept the card open is because I Thought it would help credit mix to show a "charge card" from Ametican Ecpress. She has accounts from just about every major bank..Chase, Citi,Penfed,USAA,DCU...Etc..Etc.. I did think of 1 inquiry...About 3 months ago she got a mattress from The Mattress firm with 5 years no interest. We use credit cards extensively. Never understood why a lot of people build their credit and then don't use it. We carry balances on 100% deals whenever they are available. We both have very high incomes. We have a Jumbo Mortgage that we qualified for less than 9 months ago. Very tough to get Mortgages now a days so unless we suddenly went bankrupt, that should give a creditor good feelings. If you are afraid to use your card because they may do something then it's worthless. No other Bank has given us any trouble. We have had a million dollars in debt showing at times and we owed Amex a few hundred dollars...lol The past? We were running about 3K a month the first year with her Zinc. We then didn't use it for about 3-4 months and when she tried to use it for $1,590 she got declined When she called they said she hadn't used the card much lately and her "6 month rolling average was low". I thought at the time maybe Zinc has a low limit? She applied for Zinc because we hate annual fees. She then applied for a BCP and was approved. I thought the 4 K line was ridiculous but was ok...Just again thinking an American Express card helped to round out the mix of credit. About 6 months after that she was declined again on her Zinc. This time a little over 1K. After that we didn't use Amex much. A charge or so here and there. Maybe at a dinner sometimes and for no more than $1000 a month but often only $100 or so. Used the BSP a couple times for small purchases. It was only when she started using it that it spooked them. Think about that...You have shown responsibility for 4 plus years with them...Never late...Probably 70 plus payments because I would often pay right after charges posted. Carrying a lot of debt with others at times and it's not unusual for us at all. They then get spooked for such a small amount. Not for sure how they got such a high reputation in the first place? There are better cards...Merchants HATE Amex because of their high fees as well.
Message 33 of 60
mkm77
Regular Contributor

Had paragraps so not for sure why above post doesn't show any?

Message 34 of 60
LexieCat
Regular Contributor

Hm, I've never had an issue with my Amex Blue, and I carry occasional balances (I travel for work and have to put work travel expenses on my own card and then wait till the client reimburses us--if the balance is too big to cover comfortably I autopay $500 and pick up the rest next go-round).

I'm not doubting that what the OP says occurred, occurred, but every bank, business, government agency, sometimes makes mistakes based on bad information, misunderstandings, technical malfunctions, etc.  I would sure want to clear it up if only for the sake of clearing it up.  If you aren't satisfied with the outcome, close the accounts yourself if necessary.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $32k; CapitalOne Venture $30k; Chase Slate $30k; Barclaycard Arrival Plus $25k; Wells Fargo Visa $25k; Amex EveryDay $25k; Barclaycard Ring $15.5k; Lowes $10k; Barclaycard Apple Financing $9.5k; Best Buy $7k; Chase Amazon Rewards Visa $6.5k; misc. store cards

EQ 822; TU 820; EX 819
Message 35 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

Not to call OP a liar, but something else HAS to be going on for AMEX to have done this. If not, OP should have followed the steps to follow up or give what AMEX has asked and chances are, they would reinstate the account(s). If not, then he has been deemed too risky and they have every right to freeze accounts as they are doing what they need to protect their business. 

Responses like "this is why I won't get an AMEX" are just silly. It's not like AMEX picks random names out of a hat and chooses to freeze those accounts.

And I wouldn't call your post insensitive, but you have to take into consideration that maybe the OP, among many others, don't feel like accommodating their privacy to the very whim of the usually incompetent people that work at a bank.  And if there are consequences, so be it.  Some of us don't consider servile conduct a virtue, and yet are doing very well.

Message 36 of 60
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

Yes, but it's not only Amex that suffers from this.  Issuers get reputations here (Barclays is very inq sensitive for example) and a handful of stories showing the issuer exhibiting that behavior is enought to constitutute solid and forever proof.  So Amex hates balances (and a list of 400 other things).   Now SOME of it may be true, and some issuers may indeed be harder to work with than others, but the samples here are small and biased (more people have Amex cards than have Small State 7th National Bank, so you will hear more shutdown stories) and, as you say, incomplete.    But if people choose to stay away from Amex, that's fine, shouldn't worry you either!

ETA: Friendly Supportive and Respectful guidelines probably don't allow "Not to call the OP a liar" when the intent of the sentence appears to be just that.

Oh, I'm not worried. Doesn't mean I can't point something out. My intent was not to bash OP and point and call them a liar. Perhaps it could have been worded differently but I did have positive intent. The point I was trying to make was that OP may be leaving out very important info that could have contributed to this (whether or not they're aware of the info is another story). Thanks for the F.S.R. reminder though Smiley Wink

Message 37 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

Yeah dude, If I EVER got a scarlet letter from AMEX i'd be ringing their phones off the hook to see what the hell is going on and what I can do to remedy it.

@longtimelurker wrote:

This, pretty much here. I'm willing to bet less than 2% of the people that get shut down by AMEX go online to complain about it or ask what to do.

@mkm77 wrote:
Everything I wrote is 100% true. We have had issues with them before as well. The only reason we kept the card open is because I Thought it would help credit mix to show a "charge card" from Ametican Ecpress. She has accounts from just about every major bank..Chase, Citi,Penfed,USAA,DCU...Etc..Etc.. I did think of 1 inquiry...About 3 months ago she got a mattress from The Mattress firm with 5 years no interest. We use credit cards extensively. Never understood why a lot of people build their credit and then don't use it. We carry balances on 100% deals whenever they are available. We both have very high incomes. We have a Jumbo Mortgage that we qualified for less than 9 months ago. Very tough to get Mortgages now a days so unless we suddenly went bankrupt, that should give a creditor good feelings. If you are afraid to use your card because they may do something then it's worthless. No other Bank has given us any trouble. We have had a million dollars in debt showing at times and we owed Amex a few hundred dollars...lol The past? We were running about 3K a month the first year with her Zinc. We then didn't use it for about 3-4 months and when she tried to use it for $1,590 she got declined When she called they said she hadn't used the card much lately and her "6 month rolling average was low". I thought at the time maybe Zinc has a low limit? She applied for Zinc because we hate annual fees. She then applied for a BCP and was approved. I thought the 4 K line was ridiculous but was ok...Just again thinking an American Express card helped to round out the mix of credit. About 6 months after that she was declined again on her Zinc. This time a little over 1K. After that we didn't use Amex much. A charge or so here and there. Maybe at a dinner sometimes and for no more than $1000 a month but often only $100 or so. Used the BSP a couple times for small purchases. It was only when she started using it that it spooked them. Think about that...You have shown responsibility for 4 plus years with them...Never late...Probably 70 plus payments because I would often pay right after charges posted. Carrying a lot of debt with others at times and it's not unusual for us at all. They then get spooked for such a small amount. Not for sure how they got such a high reputation in the first place? There are better cards...Merchants HATE Amex because of their high fees as well.

OMGWHOSTOLETHEPARAGRAPHS!!!!!

Off color spending pattern changes, particularly accelerated spending after a lull will spook AMEX real quick, this is pretty well known. I'm not quite sure at this point what to do with my BSP myself right now because of this, since all my spend is going toward the CSP for the UR Bonus..

It may not be unusual for you, but you may have just tripped one of the many bottomless pits on AMEX's marble floors by doing so. Like I said. Big spend after a long period of little to none will usually do that. I'm kinda surprised that they didn't give you long to respond though. This is what is in question by other members.

@LexieCat wrote:

Hm, I've never had an issue with my Amex Blue, and I carry occasional balances (I travel for work and have to put work travel expenses on my own card and then wait till the client reimburses us--if the balance is too big to cover comfortably I autopay $500 and pick up the rest next go-round).

I'm not doubting that what the OP says occurred, occurred, but every bank, business, government agency, sometimes makes mistakes based on bad information, misunderstandings, technical malfunctions, etc.  I would sure want to clear it up if only for the sake of clearing it up.  If you aren't satisfied with the outcome, close the accounts yourself if necessary.

+1,000 right here.

@Anonymous wrote:

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

And I wouldn't call your post insensitive, but you have to take into consideration that maybe the OP, among many others, don't feel like accommodating their privacy to the very whim of the usually incompetent people that work at a bank.  And if there are consequences, so be it.  Some of us don't consider servile conduct a virtue, and yet are doing very well.

Also a good point. It seems the OP is doing just fine without AMEX, and if that's their prerogative, then so be it.

@AvadaKedavra wrote:
Oh, I'm not worried. Doesn't mean I can't point something out. My intent was not to bash OP and point and call them a liar. Perhaps it could have been worded differently but I did have positive intent. The point I was trying to make was that OP may be leaving out very important info that could have contributed to this (whether or not they're aware of the info is another story). Thanks for the F.S.R. reminder though Smiley Wink

Do you know how often I run into this? I invite anyone who i've put in a corner to correct me if so needed. The OP did this, so i'd personally consider it absolved.

I just love it when people throw out FSR Reminders... Lol. Smiley Very Happy

Message 38 of 60
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

I never thought I would see the day when Nixon would complain about missing gaps in someones transcripts...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 39 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Themanwhocan wrote:

I never thought I would see the day when Nixon would complain about missing gaps in someones transcripts...

I have an issue with run-on's myself all day long, lol.

But coming from someone who writes and reviews reports that are sometimes used in court, Walls of text just drive me nuts! Smiley Happy

Message 40 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.