Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express cancelled my account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express cancelled my account

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
. . . . . I'd like to ask everyone to pull it back about 33%, minimum.

"pull" it back "33%",   "minimum"?  Is that credit card talk for knock it off?   Smiley Happy

Message 51 of 85
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Jubeyy wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

. . . . . I'd like to ask everyone to pull it back about 33%, minimum.

"pull" it back "33%",   "minimum"?  Is that credit card talk for knock it off?   Smiley Happy

It's Mom talk for "Don't make me come down there!" Smiley Wink

No, seriously, most of the time around here people can keep everything on a pretty relaxed level, but every now and again, you can see things start ratcheting up.

As long as a thread is productive, I hate having to lock it just because the electronic spittle started flying. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 52 of 85
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote: 

No, seriously, most of the time around here people can keep everything on a pretty relaxed level, but every now and again, you can see things start ratcheting up.

As long as a thread is productive, I hate having to lock it just because the electronic spittle started flying. Smiley Tongue
Yes Dear.  Smiley Very Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 53 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guessed that I am the lucky one. I got a $6,500 Hilton Optima card in 1997 and last used 4/1999. I called AMEX a few days ago and the CSR indicated that the account is still good and will mail me the replacement card with a new account #.   Got it today via UPS and they upgrade it to a Hilton Platinum card.
Message 54 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Smon1234,

I just had this happen to me last week as well by Amex, and my letter I received is nearly identical to yours.  Interesting you mention you had just made a large payment the month before, because that's what I did as well.  I think that may have triggered some kind of review for some reason.

The odd part is that my credit has improved quite a bit since I opened by Amex card.  So, the info they were finding in my credit report was actually better than when I opened my account a few years ago.  

-Seatttle8 

Message 55 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am wondering what was your credit score and uti % when you applied for the  amex card........... I guess it must have been very good. I have seen many of my friends getting kicked off the amex club..............it takes a great deal to be a "CARD MEMBER" a.k.a you've gotto be rich. Neither am I a "CARD MEMBER".
Message 56 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am another victim of this unfair practice.  I have had an American Express Platinum card for fourteen years and have never made a late p ayment.  Six months ago they informed me that they were lowering my CL from 18K to 6K (just $200 dollars over my then current balance).  Worried this would effect my credit score, I paid $1,500 on the card and brought the balance down to $4,300.  I've made 5 payments on the card since, bringing my balance down to $3,700.  I received another notice yesterday that my CL was being lowered again to just $200 over my current balance.  I couldn't believe it!  I have no choice but to pay it off or they'll just keep lowering my CL and it will appear I'm always maxed out!  Grrrr.

I realize that it is lawful, but come on, it is definitely not fair and I've written to  my congressman to tell him so.  These CCC are doing whatever they want and getting away with it.   

Message 57 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chiming in to say that I got bit by AMEX today as well. I've had my Blue card ($2500 limit) for only two months. All 3 of my bureau scores are 700+, and my last negative tick on my report was 30 day late payment on a student loan in 1999. I recently paid off 100% of my debt, and other than a zero-balance Discover card with a $5000 limit, this card was my only open account.

I was declined at a restaurant (fortunately had my bank card on me, but still embarrasing) and when I called AMEX I was told that they "received negative information from Experian" like most in this thread. I check my credit pretty regularly and have a copy of my report from 9 days ago. 4 inquiries, 18 accounts in good standing, nothing past due, nothing negative. My Experian score when I opened the card was ~718, right now it's 735.

I also got the same terrible customer service from their credit center, with a very smug woman telling me that "If I had paid my bills we wouldn't be having this conversation". I brushed that off (knowing that the ensuing argument would be pointless) but when I tried to get any specifics on why a zero-balance account from a new customer with zero debt and a basically perfect credit history dating back to 1999 would be closed, all she would do is point me to Experian. (Again, note that I have the report in front of me).

It's good to see that I'm not alone here, because at first I started to panic thinking that I may have something that I missed along the line popping up on my report, or that I'd  been hit with identity fraud. I'm about to buy my first home, and the only reason that I wanted _any_ open credit lines was for emergencies, and the AMEX Blue w/cash back seemed like a good standby card.

Apparently their reputation is undeserved, or they're in a slide because I had better CS from the $300-limit credit cards I had back in college (the kind you get a free t-shirt for signing up with, which is an extra day without having to do laundry Smiley Very Happy ) than I have with this "prestigious" company.

That's my experience with them, cheers folks.

- Chris

Message 58 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's another one. Currently I'm building a new house and have been using my AE/Costco True Earnings Card to make purchases. I've been paying it off in full twice a month and then submitting the receipts to my bank. This month I paid off my bill and then was declined on a purchase two days latter. My earnings reward was supposed to be issued the beginning of Feburary and now it looks like I've lost that due to my card being cancelled! I have never had a late payment on this card and the only other debt I have is my car & house (currently being built).

At first I panicked thinking something had happened  but when I contacted AMX I  was told that Experian showed negatives on my score etc... etc.. In truth I had just meet with my bank earlier in the week to go over things and  my score was great! I feel it's their card and they can cancel me if they wish but to cheat me out of my Costco rewards (about $500.00) should be criminal. 

Message 59 of 85
oracles
Valued Contributor

I don't know if this will get you anywhere but you can call them back up and fax them your credit report to show them that your report is clean and you want your card reinstated. I think Amex is allowing people to fax their reports for a review to get their card reinstated or credit line back to where it was. I have not heard of many success stories however I did hear of 2. Maybe you might be the third. Also go up the chain of command and demand your rewards for using the Costco card. 

hope this helps and keep us updated

Message 60 of 85
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.