Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express cards

tag
distantarray
Established Contributor

American Express cards

Any ideas on what's a good card to get? It's pretty abysmal on their selections

Only cards I think that are worth anything is Starwood, and BCP. Everything else especially Hilton card as much as I tried to love it is a real lackluster. Don't even get me started on Delta Skypesos as well.

I recently got backdated to 2001 and it would help my credit profile to get another card, I might just bite the bullet and get an Amex Platinum, annual fee is high but it's not bad since you can buy $200 worth of Southwest gift cards from the $200 allowance =)   making the annual fee $250 + Free Starwood Gold status and lounges makes it nice (even though I usually fly United)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

Re: American Express cards

What is your goal? Are you looking for travel rewards?

Message 2 of 17
Dustink
Valued Contributor

You could just get some no AF cards. BCE or HHonors. I don't see how they are too terrible. Take the sign up bonus and the backdating, then don't ever use the cards again....

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 3 of 17
distantarray
Established Contributor

@RhubarbPie wrote:

I don't really care I have 

Chase Freedom

Chase Sapphire

NFCU Platinum

Amex Starwood

Amex BCP

Citi Forward

So I already have Starwood for hotels, and Sapphire + United for my favorite airlines. Citi Foward for dining out/clubbing/amazon etc. I do like the Platinum, but the annual fee is still high for something I wouldn't use too often. 

Message 4 of 17
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

Any ideas on what's a good card to get? It's pretty abysmal on their selections

Only cards I think that are worth anything is Starwood, and BCP. Everything else especially Hilton card as much as I tried to love it is a real lackluster. Don't even get me started on Delta Skypesos as well.

I recently got backdated to 2001 and it would help my credit profile to get another card, I might just bite the bullet and get an Amex Platinum, annual fee is high but it's not bad since you can buy $200 worth of Southwest gift cards from the $200 allowance =)   making the annual fee $250 + Free Starwood Gold status and lounges makes it nice (even though I usually fly United)

By the way, if the "I usually fly United" was meant to imply the lounge access wouldn't be helpful, you can access US Airways lounges even if you're not flying with them. Do you have status with United? Is there a reason that you usually don't fly other airlines?

Message 5 of 17
Open123
Super Contributor

SPG + Platinum (MB Plat is better with 50K bonus) is a great combination, if you travel and use Starwoods properties.

In my view, for non bonus spending, the Amex SPG is the single best card to use for all purchases.  For all default spending, I always use my SPG.  It's the "one" card I am never without wherever I go.

PS - No reason to go for BCE over BCP - Just use supermarket gift cards and BCP will pay for itself with more value than BCE.

PS 2 - With the devaulation, Hilton card is kind of pointless, unless you really stay at Hilton properties extensively.  And, even then, there are better Hilton options, now that the AXON program may be on the way out.

Message 6 of 17
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

You could just get some no AF cards. BCE or HHonors. I don't see how they are too terrible. Take the sign up bonus and the backdating, then don't ever use the cards again....

HIlton will the recent devaluation is TERRIBLE. They don't even have Category 1 or 2 hotels in Florida that isn't out in the middle of redneck country. To get something decent you need 30,000 points per night =\   I'm spoiled with Starwood, sigh I guess this is the only card afterall that I can switch later to a no annual fee version. I hate Paris too so didn't want to add to her bankroll lol.

Message 7 of 17
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@RhubarbPie wrote:

I don't really care I have 

Chase Freedom

Chase Sapphire

NFCU Platinum

Amex Starwood

Amex BCP

Citi Forward

So I already have Starwood for hotels, and Sapphire + United for my favorite airlines. Citi Foward for dining out/clubbing/amazon etc. I do like the Platinum, but the annual fee is still high for something I wouldn't use too often. 

It seems unnecessary for you to get another Amex, especially if you have no goal in mind.

If you fly United regularly, you may want to get the United MileagePlus card (from Chase). Other than that, I'm not really sure what the point of another AMEX would be for you.

Message 8 of 17
distantarray
Established Contributor

@RhubarbPie wrote:

By the way, if the "I usually fly United" was meant to imply the lounge access wouldn't be helpful, you can access US Airways lounges even if you're not flying with them. Do you have status with United? Is there a reason that you usually don't fly other airlines?

I didn't realize you can stay on US airways lounges even if your not flying with them, but yea I have Star Alliance Gold, and besides that United is the only way to fly to Asia for a decent price especially with awards which I have a ton of. (I have enough points to fly me to Asia and back about 10 times)

Message 9 of 17
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Blue Sky!!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.