Did you mean: 

American Express clamps down on bonus 'abusers'

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express clamps down on bonus 'abusers'

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Perhaps they should give out loyalty bonuses instead of sign on bonuses. Extra cash back after 5yrs or something....

I feel like they do, to a small extent. Right now, Citi is sending out two offers for Uber, one $20 off the first ride to register and the other a $15x8 credit on UberPOOL. The latter offer is more lucrative, and I got that one, having had the Citi DC (formerly my Dividend) since 2011. Amex has Amex Offers, although I don't know if they get sweetened depending on the amount of time and spend you have with them. I do think it would be good to ramp these up and the wind the huge bonus offers down.

I am guessing uber is paying for those bonuses..   I think merchant Amex offers are paid by merchants,  uber is only going to appeal to a small segment of citi customers.  I don't know what uber pool is but ipseems like sharing a ride with strangers from the title.  Seems like a way for Uber to get a new product to be used.

Message 81 of 83
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am guessing uber is paying for those bonuses..   I think merchant Amex offers are paid by merchants,  uber is only going to appeal to a small segment of citi customers.  I don't know what uber pool is but ipseems like sharing a ride with strangers from the title.  Seems like a way for Uber to get a new product to be used.

We don't know that the merchants are paying for all of it, through probably some. But if it were, by the same token, it can be argued that a cobranded card's rewards are often paid by the merchant doing the cobranding, but that doesn't necessarily make it less valuable. Who is paying for the rewards is less important than whether the rewards are useful.

As for appealing to a limited audience, that may be the point. I may well have gotten this offer from Citi because I already use my Double Cash to pay for Uber rides (though before now that was through Android Pay). The only question is whether the person the offer is being made to finds it useful. In my case I did. That may not be popularly exploitable in the sense that you do A, B, and C and you get a retention offer of X, but for people who use a product long term and are not constantly looking to jump ship, it works.

Message 82 of 83
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I agree.  If the banks want long term credit card customers, then they should reward loyalty rather than rewarding bonus chasers.  The money used to finance signup bonuses could better be used to finance more generous ongoing rewards.

Sounds great in theory but it doesn't work that way. Most people aren't churning cards or bonus chasing. Most people will get one or two credit cards and stick with them. Very few people in the grand scheme of things worry about min/maxing their spend. If chase were to do something like this then in the long haul they would end up paying out more. What chase really wants is people to run up balances and then carry them so they can get the interest. They don't want to spend money to encourage people to spend on cards they already have because it cuts into chase profits. In addition, if their competition is offering large signup offers then people are just going to go to their competitors for the large bonuses and since most people don't pick up many cards there is a good chance those are customers chase will never get a shot at again. I get the logic of your argument but when it come to society at large it doesn't really work in the favor of the banks. 

I agree.    And even for people looking to maximize:   let's say I am offered a card with 1% cashback, with the offer that if I spend say $10000 a year for three years, I will get an extra reward of $8000.     Assuming that $10K per year is pretty much all of my spend,  I really wouldn't know how to evaluate it, do I want to "commit" to this level of spend for three years when a competiitor might come up with a better offer.   It would suck for me to do it the first year and then change, having put up with a subpar rate.

Message 83 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.