cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express credits returns toward payments!?

tag
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

American Express credits returns toward payments!?

So I got this shiny new Blue Cash Preferred in August. First thing I did was set up Autopay for "Current Balance". The first statement posted in September for $1400 with the Autopay coming out on the due date today. I bought a $400 computer monitor October 6 but returned it the 10th. AmEx credited the return to my monthly payment and Autopay only took out $1000 today.

This seems contrary to every other card I have where a return will not help me out until the next statement closes. My USAA and Discover have it set up to autopay the full amount of the last statement unless you make extra payments online. Even though it'll just make my next month's bill $400 more I'm not complaining because it allows me to keep my $ in the bank earning interest longer. Who knew amEx would kick the can down the road for me - but it won't incur any interest, right?

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express credits returns toward payments!?

That's the way AMEX works.  If you have a credit that posts after the statement drops, but before the AutoPay payment is taken from your checking account, the payment will be lowered by the credit amount.  It's just the way AMEX works, nothing you can do about it.

Message 2 of 3
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: American Express credits returns toward payments!?

My Chase Mileage Plus Visa does the same thing - if I make a return sometime between the statement closing date and the payment due date, the amount of the return is credited towards the statement balance and the amount deducted from my bank account is reduced by a corresponding amount.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.