cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express fixed my report.. Score went down..

tag
Pants
Regular Contributor

American Express fixed my report.. Score went down..

I have been having issues with American Express.. They reported the same account on my report three times with three different balances, and three different entries. .. One showed an open account with a balance of $7,409.. last reported on 2007... The other showed an open account with a balance of $5,200... last reported in 2008... The other showed an open account with a balance of $4,400 last reported in 2009... I wasn't technically my account.. It was my wife's card.. I was only an Authorized user..  The three entries were making my total minimum payments show up that I was paying $360 more than what I should be paying..

I have been having problems with lenders telling me my Debt to Income ratio, and minimum payments are too high to grant a loan.. I figured it was about time to clean this up and despute it.. I got American Express to delete all the entries.. Now my credit score dropped about 15 points... I think it was mostly because I lost the payment history..  Smiley Happy I guess with one problem cleared up, it created another.. I guess going from 738 to 722 isn't the end of the world..

I also wanted to thank everyone in these forums for all the help the past four years.. When I first got here, I was in the 570 range.. Now I am 720 to 725.. Thanks all.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Regular Contributor

Re: American Express fixed my report.. Score went down..

Amex also reported a closed account, but wasn't mine and I called Amex who immediately corrected it.  I almost lost a few points because of the lost history.  However, I would take the point loss than having incorrect information on my records.

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: 7/8/10: TU - 738 EQ - 750
Previous Score: 1/22/10: TU - 703 EQ - 714
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express fixed my report.. Score went down..

Pants, great job with the work on your scores. It's hard work...but well worth it in the end.

My husband had an authorized user account double reported. We requested that one of them come off. That worked with EQ and EX, but TU removed both of them. We worked through AmEx to have this corrected, but the CRAs apparently reacted differently. It's a newish account that wouldn't add anything to his average age, so...for right now...we're just leaving the account off of TU.

Trying to fix things on credit reports can often have unintended consequences. You may want to try to get the AU account reporting again some day, but don't stress over it.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.