Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express increase of initial credit limit

tag
soliloquy
Regular Contributor

Re: American Express increase of initial credit limit

I just called in and used the automated line. They get around to that as a topic eventually...

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I first applied with Amex, they had giving me $2,000 limit also. I called them and they told me to wait for six months to ask for an increase. The 60 days wait to ask for an increase will not be enough for them to trust you so they may automatically declined your request. I know this from experience. Anyway I waited for the six months and I got approve for the increase. Every six months I ask for an increase and they are so generous in honoring your request. I love Amex, and now I have $20,000 in their blue cash rewards and I've only been a member for one year and a half. Not only is Amex great in honoring your credit limit request, I've also asked them for $10,000 increase and they had giving it to me. That is a huge jump, something most bank will not honor. 

Message 12 of 23
soliloquy
Regular Contributor

It must just depend...i've only had my card since november and i got my 3X increase today...

Message 13 of 23
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

I opened my card with a $2K CL.  61 days later  did the automated system and got an immediate increase to $6K.  6 months later, automated system again and I'm at $18K - that was just a few weeks ago so this is recent experience.

The max you can do on the automated line is $25K CL.  That's my goal for July Smiley Wink

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 14 of 23
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Thank you everyone for all the responses. I called on her behalf, because she could not care less, and they said most likely the reason was because of the automotive loans. No matter the annual income, the computer saw those and made a decision about it. They did say that at sixty one days to ring in and have an analyst manually do it and that should do the trick.

I should have asked, but they don't auto raise it to three times your current limit do they? I really don't to get 30,000 and have to go through any account reviews.

Message 15 of 23
CS800
Super Contributor

Never heard on CLI upon activation with AMEX. After 61 days, I got my full 3X

Message 16 of 23
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

I already have a reminder set for day 61, LOL!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 23
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

That is great. Congrats!

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 18 of 23
CS800
Super Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

I already have a reminder set for day 61, LOL!

I was shocked to get the full 3X Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 23
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

For all of you getting these 3X increases on Amex revolver CLs, can I ask what your monthly spend is on the cards if that's not too personal?

        
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.