Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express is CRAY CRAY for sure

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express is CRAY CRAY for sure

So my dear cousin filed for BK-13 in 2009 and paid ALL of his debts over 5 years -- not 10% not 50% but hell he agreed to pay over $75,000 back to ALL creditors 100% -- yes that's right 100% BK plan!

He finalized his BK March 2014. So no more debt, all clean -- move on. Creditors happy.

Speed the clock to April 2015.

Since his BK won't officialy fall off until 3/2016 (7 years after he filed) - he thought why  not - he applied for a Amex PRG and Delta Skymiles (Gold) and got APPROVED!! (4/15/15)  Smiley Very Happy I'm estatic for him. Now he can regrow his credit and hopefully get more credit in  the future.

Alright now -- he then calls me up on 4/22/15 and tells me - "hey I went onlne and Amex approved me for the Costco Amex card!!!!" -- WOW! I congratulate him for his 3 Amex approvals in less than 2 weeks.

OK, so here is where the junky part comes in. (You all wanted to cheer this story riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight??)

Well, now he thought he could get another Amex - this time a Amex Blue for Business.

He put in his app on 5/2/15 - Saturday evening.

App came back as "In Progress" - he calls Amex - they verified some info told him "all looks really good!"  Smiley HappyCSR acknowledges and congratulates him on his 3 recent personal card approvals.  CSR tells him someone will contact him or an email will be sent when all is good.

OK so here comes the clincher.

He just called me and sent me a copy of his letter. WTH???!??!?!?!?!?! Smiley Mad

DECLINED because "He filed for BK"  -- Yes, he filed and it was finalized and discharged 5/14. All CRAs list it as discharged not filed as the letter states. Granted he has a good consulting business and does very well. He just wanted a biz card so he thought about going for an Amex card since they were nice to him on the personal cc side. It's funny, you would have thought Amex would have denied him based on income or something to that effect.

Question: 

1. Would you call Amex to explain that the letter is incorrect?

2. If yes, do you think Amex would wake up and say "hey, yeh we approved your personal cc but now give it back. . . we'll cancel all 3 today!!"  -- In other words, calling them up about the Biz CC might open a can of worms??

3. Is Amex recon friendly?

*****I told him to call Amex but he's afraid they might cancel his personal cards in one swoop.  I also noticed on the letter it states "American Express Bank FSB" -- is this the same as the Centurion Bank??

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express is CRAY CRAY for sure

I had to call and verify info with Amex a couple days ago for the Blue Business card. The rep should have been able to tell him he was approved right then and there unless further review was required. Maybe they didnt feel comfortble issuing three cards so quickly.

In this case I would leave well enough alone and accept the two personal cards, especially due to the BK. Maybe someone took a look at the application and didnt like what they saw who knows.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I had to call and verify info with Amex a couple days ago for the Blue Business card. The rep should have been able to tell him he was approved right then and there unless further review was required. Maybe they didnt feel comfortble issuing three cards so quickly.

In this case I would leave well enough alone and accept the two personal cards, especially due to the BK. Maybe someone took a look at the application and didnt like what they saw who knows.

Thanks Heavenly --- At first I thought he should call and definitely try to recon but then I also thought he might risk having his personal cards closed or worse be blacklisted.

I'm almost 50/50 but who knows maybe that anaylst waas having a bad day - who knows.Smiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks Heavenly --- At first I thought he should call and definitely try to recon but then I also thought he might risk having his personal cards closed or worse be blacklisted.

I'm almost 50/50 but who knows maybe that anaylst waas having a bad day - who knows.Smiley Frustrated

I have my doubts that he'd be blacklisted for reconning for credit.  I'd personally leave it alone, he's got 3 new tradelines, don't want to stir the pot anymore than he has.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it's nothing more than a different criteria for the Business Card....just a different checklist and tolerance on the part of that particular Amex Card

Obviously, AMEX is happy they got paid back through the BK13, otherwise they wouldn't have extended the three new cards....

I would leave it.....and  rebuild of off those new cards

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.