cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express is a bit strange so far......

tag
linux007969
Established Contributor

American Express is a bit strange so far......

I login to my account and set up a few settings and when i go back to the account home page it reads the following:

Congratulations! You have now successfully activated your Card. Visit Profiles and Preferences to continue customizing your account settings.

The thing is i havent recieved the card yet, so i guess i freak out a bit seeing that and i call American Express. I do not call Customer Service in fear i'll get someone in india that will not understand what i am asking or saying and flag my account, so i call the back door for account services listed in this thread. (1-800-230-1284) and while i first have to go through the automated system it says my card is ready to use, so i panic a little more and i press zero to get to a person and i wait on hold for 15 minutes and i finally get to a guy who doesn't have a happy tone of voice, he has me confirm the year i was born,my work phone number, he askes me if the number i'm calling from is my cell and i say yes and he asks if this number and my work phone is the only numbers for me and i say yes, then he has me confirm my email address and my home address and then says my card will arrive any day and he says my card is not activated yet and when it arrives there will be sticker on the card with a number on the card to call to activate the card and i say "thanks i'm just making sure the no one stole my card" and he says "nope no one stole it". He was nice enough at the end of the call to welcome me to the American Express Family.

So their system logs the number you use to call them at it seams which is nice, but he didn't seem happy, could he just have been mad that i didnt call customer service in the first place or did i just get a random rep that had a bad day?

I was only calling to make sure noone stole my card and that it was a system glitch. Has anyone else expirenced anything like this before with AMEX? Should i have just called customer service instead?

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express is a bit strange so far......

yeah the guy give u a warning """ STOP ABUSE THE BACKDOOR LOVER ""

Just call regular CS.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 10
linux007969
Established Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

yeah the guy give u a warning """ STOP ABUSE THE BACKDOOR LOVER ""

Just call regular CS.

LOL i hope to god sakes that is all it was. I guess i'm on the $h!t list with AMEX already, gotta be careful i guess. At any rate i'm sure it was a good idea to call someone at AMEX to double check things. Makes me feel safer at least.

Message 3 of 10
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

if any transaction going on your account or fraud.....then you should see them all online. They pretty quick about it.

Most of the time they ask for ID when swipe ........Just chill a lil bit brahhhhh

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 4 of 10
linux007969
Established Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

if any transaction going on your account or fraud.....then you should see them all online. They pretty quick about it.

Most of the time they ask for ID when swipe ........Just chill a lil bit brahhhhh

Thanks, I am always monitoring my accounts and just paniced when i saw what it said. I was surprised to be able to login without it asking for a card number first to finish online account setup. Discover was the same way they allowed me to sign in before my card arrived but everything with them was all right, so with AMEX i felt something was out of place when i saw that it said it was activated and even more panic when the automated system said my card is ready to use. Big system & security glitch if you ask me, but at least i didn't get any run around with the guy i talked to. He should have been more polite though, its not like i went and cold called the executive office.

Message 5 of 10
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

how did you set your account up online without your account number?

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 6 of 10
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

I also want to know as I was approved on friday and have no card or online account as of yet.

Thanks

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 7 of 10
littlelottie
Valued Member

@Bay_Area_Joe wrote:

I also want to know as I was approved on friday and have no card or online account as of yet.

Thanks

When you are instantly approved, they usually let you set up your account and password right after approval.  Atleast that's how it was for me.  Not sure how it would work if not approved instantly. 

Starting Score (January 2013): TU: 704, EQ: 679, EX: 687
Current Score (September 2013): TU: 741. EQ: 703, EX: 712
Goal Score: 730 Across the Board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 10
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

I have two cards now with a third one the way and i have had to wait until each one got here before it would let me set them up online

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 9 of 10
linux007969
Established Contributor

@littlelottie wrote:

@Bay_Area_Joe wrote:

Thanks

When you are instantly approved, they usually let you set up your account and password right after approval.  Atleast that's how it was for me.  Not sure how it would work if not approved instantly. 

That how it was with me but after i set it up it would not let me in to everything with out an account number then earlier last week i got an email from AMEX confirming my enrollment in online access. Then tonight i decided to see if it would let me log in and it did without an account number.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.