cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express is becoming the new Capital One!

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: American Express is becoming the new Capital One!

Just my 2 cents but respect goes both ways 

Thats just how I was raised.

OP I know you said it had nothing to do with the FR and probably not but is it just possible that this was the first contact you had with an Amex person and unknowingly were a little aggresive because it was in the back of your mind?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 31 of 41
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

How many people actually read this or similar forums regularly out of the general credit-using population?  Maybe 0.001%

How many people outside of this and similar forums know that it's possible to move CL's from one card to another?  Probably 0.000001%

Odds that a CSR has ever had to deal with this situation: vanishingly unlikely.  That's what I mean by the request coming out of left field.  I apologize if the comment was taken in some other manner, it was not my intention.

This forum population is nowhere close to the standard consumer when it comes to education, especially with a moderately complicated subject such as what is and what is not possible on one's credit cards from a given lender.  I would encourage everyone to look outside their own preception and knowledge, and consider that given the average consumer almost assuredly won't be asking this question, and then realize what the CSR's are being paid for... namely, providing good customer service to the vast majority of the lender's customers.  We are many standard deviations from average on the typical bell curve on this subject, expecting CSR's to know what we do is simply going to leave you bitter and disappointed. 

FWIW, as a former manager, while I might've had a quick conversation with the CSR in question had I been listening into how I suspect the phone call went, I primarily would've been making certain the CSR was OK, and then maybe discussion as to how it might've been better handled if warranted.  My employees mean more to me than any random customer out of a decently sized customer base... and Amex has scads of customers.

Flunked?  Nah, C- at absolute worst and that's just reading the OP's side of the argument; I'll reiterate, if someone called you a liar, how would you react?  Setup a perfectly predictable situation, don't be surprised when the CSR (who's another human being on the other side of the phone, none of us are saints) in this case reacts predictably.  

        
Message 32 of 41
enharu
Super Contributor

To CreditAddict:

Look on the bright side. At least it's done finally Smiley Happy

There's always misinformed CSRs in every company, CSP staff included. the frequency of getting a "not too bright" CSR however can vary depending on the company you're dealing with. The job itself is also pretty stressful as their evaluation metrics are often very tough, so sometimes they aren't exactly in the best mood when talking to someone. I can understand it gets pretty irritating based on my experiences with Citi, and trust me Citi is about as bad as it can get compared to other prime lenders. Most of the time I find that it is often easier to just hang up and call again, and if that still doesn't work, call EO. 

And just curious about your FR. I read that you said they implemented hard limits. What does that mean? Will there still be chance for 3x CLI in the near future?

Well at least you still got to keep your account as well so that by itself is a good sign.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 33 of 41
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

It means for 6 months if not 12 months he can't get any CLI or open anymore Amex Accounts, the system is locked/blocked!
Message 34 of 41
enharu
Super Contributor

Oh I see. Well at least it's just 1 year in the worst case scenario. Good time to garden or to check out options w/ other lenders.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 35 of 41
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Yeah as I posted in other thread, we will be 90% Navy now with 5%Amex for Grocery and gas and 5% of store or rotating category type cards Smiley Happy
Message 36 of 41
Cageym
Established Contributor

I have 3 Amex cards and have called CSR's about everyone of them for some reason or another and never had any issues, not even with the foreign ones. Part of that might be 90% of my time is spent outside the US so I tend to be a little more patient in trying to communicate, I really have no choice. Smiley Happy I noticed a long time ago that every Amex card I have has a different call number on the back. So it could be they just print random numbers or it could be they have "tiered" customer service. Do you think the Platinum or Centurion members ever have that kind of issue?

Just a thought.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 37 of 41
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

I hear a lot of complaints about AMEX these days. Thankfully, since I don't ever need to "deal" with them for anything pressing, I have not had any unsettling contacts...knock on wood!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 38 of 41
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I never knew it was possible to re-allocate limits between cards until beginning rebuilding years ago.

Expecting an Amex employee to be familiar with company policies is reasonable, though.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 39 of 41
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:

How many people actually read this or similar forums regularly out of the general credit-using population?  Maybe 0.001%

How many people outside of this and similar forums know that it's possible to move CL's from one card to another?  Probably 0.000001%

Odds that a CSR has ever had to deal with this situation: vanishingly unlikely.  That's what I mean by the request coming out of left field.  I apologize if the comment was taken in some other manner, it was not my intention.

This forum population is nowhere close to the standard consumer when it comes to education, especially with a moderately complicated subject such as what is and what is not possible on one's credit cards from a given lender.  I would encourage everyone to look outside their own preception and knowledge, and consider that given the average consumer almost assuredly won't be asking this question, and then realize what the CSR's are being paid for... namely, providing good customer service to the vast majority of the lender's customers.  We are many standard deviations from average on the typical bell curve on this subject, expecting CSR's to know what we do is simply going to leave you bitter and disappointed. 

FWIW, as a former manager, while I might've had a quick conversation with the CSR in question had I been listening into how I suspect the phone call went, I primarily would've been making certain the CSR was OK, and then maybe discussion as to how it might've been better handled if warranted.  My employees mean more to me than any random customer out of a decently sized customer base... and Amex has scads of customers.

Flunked?  Nah, C- at absolute worst and that's just reading the OP's side of the argument; I'll reiterate, if someone called you a liar, how would you react?  Setup a perfectly predictable situation, don't be surprised when the CSR (who's another human being on the other side of the phone, none of us are saints) in this case reacts predictably.  

To expand on Revelate's comments, CSR's deserve the same amount of respect that you would give someone walking down the street that you just met. It is never acceptable to use profanity, make idle threats to get what you want, or to otherwise "go off" on someone who is likely just a regular person doing their job for what is likely slightly above minimum wage. 

While it is true that the rep may be misinformed, or uninformed, if you become rude, what does that make you?

In cases where I find myself becoming frustrated, I find that its better to simply thank them for their time, and hang up.  Then, try back later and try to be very clear in describing what you want, and if they could possibly help you to achieve what you want.  If they say no, repeat action 1.

There is no reason to be rude or disrespectful in my opinion.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.