Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express question

I have a unique situation and was wondering if my VM was a scam. I've been on the blacklist with American Express for nine years from a CO.

I applied Saturday morning and received an email of decision about an hour later. I clicked the link and it said denied.

This morning I received a voicemail (had phone on silent) claiming to be American Express and wanting me to call them back. I called the number and it said they were not open until Monday.

When I went to the app status page it now says "pending" and I received a HP on Experian this morning.

Wasn't sure if anyone knew if I should ride it out and wait for mail, call them tomorrow or try to call a regular CSR today.

Thank you
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express question

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a unique situation and was wondering if my VM was a scam. I've been on the blacklist with American Express for nine years from a CO.

I applied Saturday morning and received an email of decision about an hour later. I clicked the link and it said denied.

This morning I received a voicemail (had phone on silent) claiming to be American Express and wanting me to call them back. I called the number and it said they were not open until Monday.

When I went to the app status page it now says "pending" and I received a HP on Experian this morning.

Wasn't sure if anyone knew if I should ride it out and wait for mail, call them tomorrow or try to call a regular CSR today.

Thank you

You can always Google the number but to play it safe just call one of the backdoor numbers on Monday.  Given the change in your status my guess is that it is a legitimate number and message.  Good luck

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is special handling. They are only open during working hours. Calling a regular CCP will just confuse you and them because they are only trained to handle established accounts, not pending applications. Call the number provided in the voicemail.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Called this morning.

Was offered altered terms (no annual fee waiver for 1st year). I was given a link to set up an ID and PW to give them electronic consent for my 4506.

She then read me all the new terms of the card which took about 15 min. She said since I was able to do the 4506 online, I should receive a decision no later than tomorrow, but might know by this afternoon.

She was polite
Message 4 of 8
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

Good luck!

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update - Approved this morning with the altered terms (have to pay AF first year).

Very happy
Message 6 of 8
jim44
Established Contributor

Congratulations.  The temp AF is well worth it based on my new and limited experience with AMEX.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval! 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.