Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express reconsideration help!

tag
Enhasa

American Express reconsideration help!

Hi,

My girlfriend just applied for an American Express Blue Cash Preferred and she was declined.

I checked the sticky thread on backdoor numbers, and tried calling, but it seems to be a general number for AMEX now.

Is that the only working reconsideration number?

What should she say to improve her chances as well?

Her FICO for Equifax (through myfico) is 720, CK 746.

AAoA 2yrs, longest credit 4years+, credit utilization around 30-32%.

Cards she has are WF (4+ years) 8000 CL, Chase Slate (12/12) 4500 CL, Neiman Marcus (18months approx), 700 CL, Saks (2+ years) 2000 CL.

Income approx 65k

No auto/mortage loans history past and present.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Enhasa

Re: American Express reconsideration help!

any help is appreciated! thanks

Message 2 of 16
ItchyAppFingers
New Contributor

I just got approved today for the Amex BCE. My income is no where near hers (much less in fact) but in order to improve her chances he would have to explain her credit utlization, why it is so high. YMMV
My Current Plastic: {Amazon Store Card} {Amazon Visa} {Amex Zync} {Amex Gold PRG} {Amex BCE} {Bloomingdales} {BOA 123 Cash Rewards} {Capital One Platinum Visa} {Chase Freedom Visa} {Discover IT} {Kohls} {Macy's} {Nordstrom} {SonyCard Visa} {Target RedCard}
Message 3 of 16
Enhasa

Her utilization should be around 5-10% after her current cards statement end.

Will that help her if she tries to explain while calling recon? Or best bet is to just put in a new app 3-6 months later.

Does AMEX take into consideration if the accounts are PIF each month?
Do they look at the account balance history? or average balance amount for the past few months etc?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 16
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Enhasa wrote:

Her utilization should be around 5-10% after her current cards statement end.

Will that help her if she tries to explain while calling recon? Or best bet is to just put in a new app 3-6 months later.

Does AMEX take into consideration if the accounts are PIF each month?
Do they look at the account balance history? or average balance amount for the past few months etc?

Thanks!

they cant really tell if she pif. if she pays after the statement cuts, could explain why utility is so high. if she pays a couple days before and doesnt use the card until statement comes out then that would drop her utility, it doesnt really matter now because most likely even if all her statements closed today it would take about a week for all the balances to report and they would need to pull a new report by then. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 5 of 16
Enhasa

Can she still apply for one of those amex charge cards even though she just got denied for blue? or will that be another hard inquiry?

Message 6 of 16
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

It would be another HP. It was a little optimistic of her to go after the top Amex card with a thin history and a utilization over 30%. I am not sure any AMEX would be approved with those stats.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 7 of 16
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

It will be another hard inquiry. Amex has a 30 day waiting period for reapplications. They aren't very good with recons either.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 8 of 16
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Afaik, Amex only does recons if they pull another report (hard) and the info has changed.
So if nothing has changed, a denial will still occur.

I go approved with a 696 TU fico for bce.
Weird that she wouldnt get approved!
I also had <15% util.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 16
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Afaik, Amex only does recons if they pull another report (hard) and the info has changed.
So if nothing has changed, a denial will still occur.

I go approved with a 696 TU fico for bce.
Weird that she wouldnt get approved!
I also had <15% util.

Not all the time is this true. I wrote a letter addressing each point on my decline letter one for one and received the card with no further pulls. It took me a while to compose a very professional letter rebutting each point. I did some research on the 'net and it seems many people have luck writing AMEX for reconsideration, calls not so much. 

I addressed the letter to the return address on my decline letter. It took some time, three weeks from mailing it I believe. The online status never changed from denied to pending, I just received the card, no other contact and no follow up letter. 

If you feel strongly that the card should have been issued and that the main reasons they provide can be explained in your favor pen a letter. Do wait for the decline letter and address each point they note. 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.