Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express states they are stopping the pratice of where you shop

tag
oracles
Valued Contributor

American Express states they are stopping the pratice of where you shop

I just posted an article about american express stopping its practice of looking at where you shop in the credit in the news forum.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/31/your-money/credit-and-debit-cards/31money.html?_r=1&hp 

It sure sounded as if American Express had developed a blacklist of merchants patronized by troubled cardholders. But late this week, American Express told me that wasn’t the case. The company said it had also decided to stop using what it has called “spending patterns” as a criteria in its credit line reductions.

“The letters were wrong to imply we were looking at specific merchants,” said Susan Korchak, a company spokeswoman. The company uses hundreds of data points in making its decisions, she said, adding that the main factor in determining credit lines “has always been and still is the overall level of debt, relative to the card member’s financial resources.”

The company will still have plenty of other data to judge your creditworthiness, though. American Express executives have spoken candidly to investors and analysts about its deep dives into your data, though it’s safe to assume that other companies will also use such information if they think it will be useful.

go take a look at it.

Some how i just dont believe it.

Message Edited by fused on 01-30-2009 10:18 AM
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: American Express states they are stopping the pratice of where you shop

Wonder if they'll reinstate the CL's of some of their cardholders?

I still think it's nuts that they have Walmart as one of their preferred sites in their online shopping mall. I mean really, AmEx, figure it out. One way or the other, I don't care. Just a little consistency, please!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 6
oracles
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express states they are stopping the practice of where you shop

Amex giving back the credit limits is like Bush admitting that he made mistakes.

7 years 11 month and 25 days

finally he admits it LOL

Message 3 of 6
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

So Amex claims they never did it in the first place AND that they won't do it anymore.

Gee Amex, thanks for clearing that up.

Message 4 of 6
oracles
Valued Contributor

Smiley Very Happy

So true

@KingAdrock wrote:

So Amex claims they never did it in the first place AND that they won't do it anymore.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KingAdrock wrote:

True! They sound like they should run for President next... "We didn't do anything wrong, but we won't do it anymore." LMAO 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.