Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express student card

tag
ladyvg270
Regular Contributor

American Express student card

Have anyone with bad credit every applied for the american express student credit card and got approved? Why do they have student cards, are they easy to get? I applied for it and it said if i qualify for it i would receive it in 14 days, i have a filling im not going to get it.

Thanks
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express student card

ladyvg270 wrote:
Have anyone with bad credit every applied for the american express student credit card and got approved? Why do they have student cards, are they easy to get? I applied for it and it said if i qualify for it i would receive it in 14 days, i have a filling im not going to get it.

Thanks

American Express student cards are among the toughest student cards on the market to get.

I have seen many, many denials for Amex Blue for Students, for example, with the reason given as "length of time accounts have been established is too short."  One would think this wouldn't be an issue with student cards, but with Amex it is.

Good luck, though, and please keep us posted!  I would love it if you proved me wrong! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have also seen people DENIED for the student card and approved for the regular one-

I remember a recent post of a student with a 750+ FICO get denied for a Amex student card- turned right around and got a very nice CL on a regular Blue.
Message 3 of 12
SonorityGenius
Established Contributor

I agree with the above! My friend was denied an Amex student card 2 months ago with a fico of 710.. He has only one other credit card on his CR and nothing else. He was fooling around with the amex my offers site yesterday and got approved for 10k regular blue with 0% APR for 15? 12? months promo lol

So might as well shoot for the regular first! lol
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy wrote:

I remember a recent post of a student with a 750+ FICO get denied for a Amex student card- turned right around and got a very nice CL on a regular Blue.

I remember that thread as well, now that you mention it.  Thanks for the reminder!
Message 5 of 12
thevariable
Valued Member

@ladyvg270 wrote:

Thanks

I thought about getting the student card, but the APR and the CLs on the regular Blue are much better. I just went for it and got a $2000 CL, 0% APR for the first 12 months, and 11.24% APR thereafter. I only had one other CC at the time (besides the Gold Card I had just been approved for 10 minutes earlier). There aren't really any perks for the student card that aren't offered with the regular Blue. Oh, btw, I am actually a student. lol (Rising sophomore at Duke. GO BLUE DEVILS!)
Message 6 of 12
ladyvg270
Regular Contributor

What is your credit score
Message 7 of 12
ladyvg270
Regular Contributor

I got denied for the american express student card they aid that i had collection item in the last two years, so if i got those collections off you think they will approve me.
Message 8 of 12
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@ladyvg270 wrote:
I got denied for the american express student card they aid that i had collection item in the last two years, so if i got those collections off you think they will approve me.

How old is your collection? If it's the same day, you could always try to apply for the Gold Delta Skymiles card on the same inquiry. I got approved for it once my most recent late turned a year old. I was around EX 650 at the time.
Here we go again...
Message 9 of 12
ladyvg270
Regular Contributor

if you apply for several credit in the same day its consider to be one inquire?
Also the delta sky miles my score is 514 im sure im not going to get approved?
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.