Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express

Hello,

At what credit score would I need to get an Amex?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
shyboy
Frequent Contributor

Re: American Express

It's really hard to tell just base on ones scores. 

Past history with creditor, balance on other cards, length of credit history, ect...

Please provide more details 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Getting back in the credit game after major setbacks
Message 2 of 16
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Depends on which product as well. More details would help.

Message 3 of 16
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

My scores are 730 when I was approved for the Amex gold.

Starting Score: 744
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scores are only 1 part of the equation with AMEX.

They look at breadth and depth of credit.  Income.  Debt.  Any past AMEX accounts and their performance.  Actual contents of your credit report, including historical balances, not just current balances.

And AMEX changes their approval criteria often.  It moves around like a stock ticker.

The one thing you can rest assured of:  AMEX is a conservative, prime lender.

If you have good credit and a good score, along with good income and reasonable to low debt....then you should be fine.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX sucks!!!! I would definately say go with someone else. I have a squeeqy clean record now (no lates, no derogs, no baddies - did pay for delete and cap1 cudnt verify derog so they took it off) with a CS of 725. I apped with them and they denied with reasons that are incorrect - which I am still disputing with AMEX and I sent my credit report - but even if I do get the card it will be SD'd and I dont care about Amex anymore - they will never ever earn my business.
Message 6 of 16
Equinox
New Contributor

I got an Amex Blue with 740~ish. Though I am in agreement with MyFicoAddict that almost anything is better than AMEX right now.
Message 7 of 16
xchap
Contributor

yep amex sucks    amex blue 17.99% apr sucks 

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 760
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@xchap wrote:

@Anonymous are absolutely right. I have been keeping on my amex blue just to keep some utility but that is going to be paid off in the next thirty days and the card will be sd'd and i am calling amex tomorrow and tell them to actuall notate my acct that they will NEVER get my business and when the credit crunch is over and the economy is back up and all is fine and dandy and when they do send me pre-approvals - i am sending them back in the pre-paid envelope with "kiss my @#$" all over it..  hehehe.. Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 16
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@xchap wrote:

@Anonymous are absolutely right. I have been keeping on my amex blue just to keep some utility but that is going to be paid off in the next thirty days and the card will be sd'd and i am calling amex tomorrow and tell them to actuall notate my acct that they will NEVER get my business and when the credit crunch is over and the economy is back up and all is fine and dandy and when they do send me pre-approvals - i am sending them back in the pre-paid envelope with "kiss my @#$" all over it..  hehehe.. Smiley Very Happy

Can you record that call, upload it somewhere and post a link here so we can all hear it? It would be interesting to see how much attention the CSR was paying in their "Dealing With the Hostile Cardholder" training session.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.