Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: American Express

If you can afford to pay this off or make big chunkie payments, it's silly that people are telling you to actually carry a balance and pay interest.  You got in amex' bullseye sites a long time ago when you started carrying a balance, Amex hates revolving balances past about 3 months and they will CLD the next time they get a chance if they feel your a risk.  If you pay it off they will either drop you to $500 or close the account, but they don't go lower than $500.  You my as well let it happen, get your reports cleaned up and use the card for 6 months and then you can start asking for CLI again.  So many people lost there CL's with amex over 2 years ago and over I would say the last 6 months there have been multiple posts about amex starting to give those CL's back.  Also your CL is not a term that would be protected by any new credit law.

Message 11 of 13
davidsawsparks
Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

If you can afford to pay this off or make big chunkie payments, it's silly that people are telling you to actually carry a balance and pay interest.  You got in amex' bullseye sites a long time ago when you started carrying a balance, Amex hates revolving balances past about 3 months and they will CLD the next time they get a chance if they feel your a risk.  If you pay it off they will either drop you to $500 or close the account, but they don't go lower than $500.  You my as well let it happen, get your reports cleaned up and use the card for 6 months and then you can start asking for CLI again.  So many people lost there CL's with amex over 2 years ago and over I would say the last 6 months there have been multiple posts about amex starting to give those CL's back.  Also your CL is not a term that would be protected by any new credit law.

I'm not advocating to keep a balance and keep paying the minimum simply for fun. I'm only suggesting paying down other CCs first that won't chase the limits. That will allow for a better util. OP stated that AMEX keeps lowering the CL but didn't mention other CCs doing that so I was assuming that AMEX is the only card they have that's doing that. If the score starts improving due to util being better... maybe then it won't have to go as far as AMEX decreasing the limit to 500. Maybe it will stop at 1000 or more once he takes care of the other CCs first.

Message 12 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@davidsawsparks wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

I'm not advocating to keep a balance and keep paying the minimum simply for fun. I'm only suggesting paying down other CCs first that won't chase the limits. That will allow for a better util. OP stated that AMEX keeps lowering the CL but didn't mention other CCs doing that so I was assuming that AMEX is the only card they have that's doing that. If the score starts improving due to util being better... maybe then it won't have to go as far as AMEX decreasing the limit to 500. Maybe it will stop at 1000 or more once he takes care of the other CCs first.

okay I agree with this is the other debt is costing more.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.