Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express.

tag
Sorainzo
Valued Member

American Express.

Hello. After a bad mark or two from Direct Loans in 2011 from a mistake on their part, my credit score tanked a whopping 90 points. The reason why it tanked so much was due to the fact that Direct Loans annoyingly separates EACH of their loans per quarter/semester. They said I was 90 days late (though I was in school, so it should've been deferred) and did not send me any letters. So the system reads that as 12 SEPARATE loans that were ALL INDIVIDUALLY 90-days late! I called Direct Loans immediately after I was alerted of the lates by MyFico and their frontline CSRs and somewhat higher-ups are saying that there isn't much they can do once markings are in. Wow, just wow.

Anyway, my credit is soaring back up now that the markings aren't affecting my credit score as much as it was before. Now I was wondering, what's the best way to get an American Express card? Should I apply for the American Express Green Charge Card first, then apply for a credit card of theirs, mainly the Blue Cash Everyday, or just go straight for the BCE? If you're declined for BCE, could you apply for Green right after? Because I heard of something about applying for AMEX cards back to back within a month and it still counting as 1 hard pull if you're approved (or soft pull if you're declined). Also, if I wanted to apply for another Citibank card, should I apply for both AMEX first, then the Citibank or Citibank then the AMEX? My FICO score for Equifax is 612 and increasing. Thanks.

Starting Score: 597
Current Score: 694
Goal Score: 710

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
My Current Cards: Capital One Cash Rewards - $5000, Chase Amazon Rewards - $1400, Citi Secured - $300, U.S. Bank Secured - $300, Firestone CFNA Card - $1200
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: American Express.

I'd really look into getting the 90 date lates taken care of, check in the Rebuilding forum for informaton on that.  If it was a mistake, you may have recourse available under the law if you pursue it officially.

I don't think by your score you qualify for any Amex now, historically the minimums are around the 640ish range.  In your shoes I'd try to dress things up as much as possible for a December Hail Mary application with the knowledge that a denial was likely (unless you get substantial improvements over the next few months).  Unfortunately a 610ish credit score doesn't qualify for the cards you're currently looking at.

        
Message 2 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Charge cards are usually easier to qualify for and all charge cards have the same UW. The multiple apps on the same day is not a guarantee some have been lucky and some have not. Either way, apping during the month would be separate HP's.

Without knowing the specifics of your credit profile ie, baddies, inq's, current cc's, util etc it would be impossible to say other than app for the card you want most first.

Based on your CS, I think you have some more work to do before apping for an Amex.
Message 3 of 6
missjae
Established Contributor

If those loans are federal loans you can contact the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman. I contacted them with an issue with my student loans and they took action and quickly. The website is at: https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/disputes/prepare/contact-ombudsman

I applied for the Green and received immediate approval. Then apped for the revolver I wanted. I wish I wouldn't have. I barely use the Green and just wanted a revolver. App for what you want. Also, I ended up with 2 HP's..it doesn't always work that you end up with one....it's a YMMV thing.

The first time I apped with a mid 600 score, I was denied due to a low fico score. I would get it higher before apping.
Message 4 of 6
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Yes i would wait ,don't be like me and have amex triple pull you.even though I got the card probably should have waited another year. I really wanted an strong cash back card, but probably didn't need it.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 6
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

more info needed Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.