Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express

tag
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

American Express

I have a question regarding getting an Amex.  I went to the pre-qualify site for Amex and entered the info required to prequlify.  I was prequalified for the Amex Preferred Rewards Gold Card, and the Amex Green Preferred Rewards.

Amex's recommendation was the Gold Option, but both came up.

I have descent scores across the 3 bureaus, last time i pulled was:

TransUnion: 705

Equifax : 688

Experian (not sure), but when i got my mortgage 1.4 years ago, it was 20 points higher than Transunion.

Nothing on my bureaus has changed, excellent pmt history, and very low utilization 4%. AAoA is 5 years.

I've read on this board about the way Amex has been closing accounts, and CLD's alot of people, but i still want my first Amex.

Question is, should i apply with Amex or go with an Amex co-branded card through another bank, such as BOA or Citi.

Not sure if it is easier going through Amex itself, or another bank offering the co-brand.

I know these two offers are charge cards, whereas balance is due promptly on due date.  That is no problem as my income would support it.

Thought i would run it through the board before wasting an inquiry.

Thanks, Tom

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: American Express

Go for it worst case you throw away an inquiry or three. Best of luck. Seems like they want a new stack of PIF accounts.
Message 2 of 17
MrChairman
Established Contributor

I want a Amex card, that would virtually "complete" my portfolio of credit cards. My scores are about the same as yours but everytime I go to the pre qualify site I get the "No offers at this time" message. I will keep trying though Smiley Happy

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 17
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@MrChairman wrote:
I want a Amex card, that would virtually "complete" my portfolio of credit cards. My scores are about the same as yours but everytime I go to the pre qualify site I get the "No offers at this time" message. I will keep trying though Smiley Happy

Maybe you have opted out?

Message 4 of 17
MrChairman
Established Contributor

I don't think so. I have baddies on my report I am currently trying to get removed. One cap 1 charge off and a CO charge off. both paid and over 3 yrs old. I'm almost positive those are the reason. If I get both of them removed I will def be in the FICO high achivers club. Smiley Happy

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Message 5 of 17
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@MrChairman wrote:
I don't think so. I have baddies on my report I am currently trying to get removed. One cap 1 charge off and a CO charge off. both paid and over 3 yrs old. I'm almost positive those are the reason. If I get both of them removed I will def be in the FICO high achivers club. Smiley Happy

Since you responded I thought your report was clean. They don't like baddies.

Message 6 of 17
asanch12
Contributor

hmmm...maybe thats why i dont get the same message. I opted out. 

i havent had a baddie for over 5 years.  i want to apply for the costco Amex card.  I wonder if id get declined based on my baddies?

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 688
Goal Score: 720

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my first pre-approval in the mail about a month and half ago, I went online and they approved me for the Preffered Gold Rewards Card, 3 weeks later, I got another pre-approval from American Express and I applied again and was approved!!!!  So I would say go for it!  If you were pre-approved I'm sure they checked your credit (soft inquiry), It happen to me.

Message 8 of 17
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I got my first pre-approval in the mail about a month and half ago, I went online and they approved me for the Preffered Gold Rewards Card, 3 weeks later, I got another pre-approval from American Express and I applied again and was approved!!!!  So I would say go for it!  If you were pre-approved I'm sure they checked your credit (soft inquiry), It happen to me.

I don't know what AMEX does but I never saw as much as a soft pull when I did the pre app. It is possible one or more of the CRA data mine for them and when certain criteria are met they throw the pre app your way. 

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just applied for National Bank of Omaha, American Express and recieved approval for $3K the next day.  This is after applying for other cards, which gave me a higher balance and lowered my score to 655.  Just some food for thought

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.