cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Expresss Special Card Offer --What exactly is this? And is it a Soft or Hard?

tag
williamd1972
Contributor

American Expresss Special Card Offer --What exactly is this? And is it a Soft or Hard?

This is copy of American Express online appilcation

Complete the short form below and find out if you are eligible for any Special Card Offers.

Note: This is not an application for credit and will not affect your credit rating (see below for details).

* Please fill in valid information for fields in red.
First Name
Middle Initial
Last Name
Home Address
Apt. #
City
State Select State Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming
Zip Code
Social Security #
lockWhy do we ask for your Social Security number?
Your Social Security number helps us process your request to see if there are any special offers for you.
This is not an application for credit. The information you provide will be used for the sole purpose of determining if you qualify for any special Card offers. This determination may include an inquiry with a credit bureau, which will not affect your credit rating. Qualification for special offers does not guarantee account approval. If you qualify for any special Card offers, you will receive an invitation to apply for a Card. By clicking the submit button you agree to the above.
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: American Expresss Special Card Offer --What exactly is this? And is it a Soft or Hard?

It is a soft.
Message 2 of 21
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: American Expresss Special Card Offer --What exactly is this? And is it a Soft or Hard?

Most definitely a soft.
Message 3 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Here's how you can tell that it's a soft:
Note: This is not an application for credit and will not affect your credit rating (see below for details).

What this is, is the AmEx pre-qual site. It will let you know if you've already met the basic qualifications for one or more of their cards, and it will also let them know that you're curious. If you've already hit their lists on a card or cards, it/ they will pop up, and you can decide whether to apply. It used to be that you would "accept" one of these cards, but now I'm pretty sure that you have to apply. If you take this additional step, there will be a hard inq, as you are asking for credit.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 21
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Hey william....where are you seeing this?  I checked their site & saw nothing like that.
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's right here: https://www201.americanexpress.com/secure/my-special-offers

I couldn't get the insert link to work right for some reason.

Message 6 of 21
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Ok...yeah, I saw that & all they asked for was my name, email addy & zip.  Nothing like what was posted in the first one here.  Smiley Mad
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's very odd, I just checked it again and when I click on "not a cardmember yet" it is exactly the same as the first post. I don't know why you see a different one.
Message Edited by Cyrion on 11-24-2009 06:39 AM
Message 8 of 21
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Oh jeez...I hit the button at the bottom...sign up for special offers.  DOH!!  Smiley Surprised

"sorry, we were not able to provide you with any special offers at this time"  figures. Smiley Sad

Still got some repairing to do!!

Message Edited by BungalowMo on 11-24-2009 10:00 AM
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Gold and Green popped up for me, should I go for one? I've been thinking about trying to replace my rebuilder card because it costs me 250 a year for it's whopping 800credit line.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.