Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Kennel Club Visa

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: American Kennel Club Visa

I don't have this specific card, was interested in it but haven't gone for it yet because I really don't care much for Comenity. They're a fairly disorganized lender where getting answers to simple requests is a headache IMO. They don't even have a "change due date" option, something other lenders have had for years.

Anyway, as for the actual card, again, run the numbers. It's an extra 1% on some purchases over a 2% card. May be valuable if you spend, say $500 a month routinely on pet stuff, but if not, you're talking about a pretty small gain (even an extra 1% on $500 a month is still only 5 bucks). Can be worthwhile of course if you have no 2% card etc, but just something to keep in mind. If there are redemption minimums like most cards have, again, it make take a long time to get any meaningful rewards.

Message 61 of 67
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I don't have this specific card, was interested in it but haven't gone for it yet because I really don't care much for Comenity. They're a fairly disorganized lender where getting answers to simple requests is a headache IMO. They don't even have a "change due date" option, something other lenders have had for years.

Anyway, as for the actual card, again, run the numbers. It's an extra 1% on some purchases over a 2% card. May be valuable if you spend, say $500 a month routinely on pet stuff, but if not, you're talking about a pretty small gain (even an extra 1% on $500 a month is still only 5 bucks). Can be worthwhile of course if you have no 2% card etc, but just something to keep in mind. If there are redemption minimums like most cards have, again, it make take a long time to get any meaningful rewards.

And as I posted upthread, for food purchases at places like Petco, Petsmart etc, you MAY be able to get discounted giftcards that will give much greater discounts.   Currently PetCo cards are available at 26%+ (+ whatever discount you get with the buying credit card), PetSmart is around 20%        And sometimes food can be found much cheaper on Amazon.

Message 62 of 67
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Thanks for the data point KDM. The highlighted is enough to make me want to steer clear of them. I just don't have the time (and therefore the patience) for a disorganized lender. I almost closed recently opened SDFCU accounts yesterday because of that very thing. And this is after I JUST opened up a checking account to go along with the savings and CD. I was given the wrong information on how to fund both accounts when I opened them and then given the wrong information on how to fund my CD after I called to inquire. And when I called the third time, I somehow answered one of the 1000 questions they asked of me wrong, so I couldn't get any help because they couldn't "verify" me (I think it's because I didn't give my unit number, but generally just my address is acceptable or they'll ask if there's a unit number, at least that's all I can think of). Oh well, it sure sounded nice.

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 63 of 67
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

And as I posted upthread, for food purchases at places like Petco, Petsmart etc, you MAY be able to get discounted giftcards that will give much greater discounts.   Currently PetCo cards are available at 26%+ (+ whatever discount you get with the buying credit card), PetSmart is around 20%        And sometimes food can be found much cheaper on Amazon.

I personally prefer NOT to shop at either Petco or Petsmart. I used to buy from Amazon almost exclusively, but that changed when I noticed a difference in the dog food I got from Amazon. I now get a small discount on an auto ship for his food at Chewy.com and I'm okay with that. As much as I love discounts (and boy do I!), I'd rather not have to look for them all the time for something that I buy pretty regularly.

Message 64 of 67
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@LadyJEsq wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I personally prefer NOT to shop at either Petco or Petsmart. I used to buy from Amazon almost exclusively, but that changed when I noticed a difference in the dog food I got from Amazon. I now get a small discount on an auto ship for his food at Chewy.com and I'm okay with that. As much as I love discounts (and boy do I!), I'd rather not have to look for them all the time for something that I buy pretty regularly.

Yes, I buy from chewy and don't like that there are neither portal discounts or discounted gift cards available.  But oh well.

Just in case things change, it;s not a matter of constantly looking.  For example, I buy a $600+ Petco gift card  and that lasts a while.

Message 65 of 67
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

Oh that is good to know. I was thinking of $50-$100 gift cards. I too hate chewy's little 5% discount, but I do love how quickly the food arrives (miscalculated and need food ASAP and placed an order and it was here in 2days) and that it's set to autoship so I don't have to even think about it, unless I'm low for some reason. Unfortunately, neither Petco/smart sells his food, so that's been decided for me already.

Message 66 of 67
damnedanddetermined
Established Contributor

creditcurosity...I got an approval last friday, and they pulled EX...Im only the east coast, if that matters.

Message 67 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.