cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American express..... And verifying my info...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American express..... And verifying my info...

Hello all, Im new to this forum and need some help. I was approved for a American Express blue card and I activated it and created my online account. I used it 3 times then on my 4th attempt to use it, it was declined, I was SO EMBARRASSED because I had 160.00 worth of merchandise and no cash... So I called amex and they said that they needed to call my bank, and verify my info, but it was late and my bank was closed and they will be closed tomorrow ( I live in a small town, and our local banks are closed on sat and sun). I don't understand why they would APPROVE me for a card and let me use it 3 times then all of a sudden stop my account?!?!  Will I have to give them my account number??? And Will I have to verify how much money I have in my account???   Also I have a a bank of America account, which I use as a savings and have a credit card with them , but never use it, only in case of emergencies, and I keep that locked up in a safe, Do you think that AMEX will let me verifiy that account so I can start using my card again, or will I have to wait till Monday to verify my info? And has this happened to anyone recently? And if so, how did they verify info...?? What did you have to confirm

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: American express..... And verifying my info...

It's a fraud prevention tool. Sorry it hit you at bad time. Not that strange with newly activated accounts.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

They did my identity verification before approving the card. You don't have to tell them your balance or account number; you just do a.3 way call with your bank and your bank indicates your address on file. Bank of America could do it for you. I used my state farm bank account since they are available 24/7
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 9
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

that sucks.. is this for all amex cards?

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 4 of 9
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Looks like a mini-FR. Basically AMEX randomly selects its cardmembers and demands proof of ID and income.

Message 5 of 9
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I don't think so. It is a newly issued card with new member that gets turned on and rapidly used. They want to verify the person who they approved is the person using the card. The bank thing is how they do it. Bad luck for op. bofa should work for them.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 6 of 9
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Looks like a mini-FR. Basically AMEX randomly selects its cardmembers and demands proof of ID and income.

Oh I remember Discover did same thing with me. I had to email them proof of enrollment(student) and a scanned Id and SSN.

Btw, they did not verify my income. They were more worried trying to find out if I was in fact a student or not. lol?

Edit: Cap One never verified anything..

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 7 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Amex did not verify income. Just name and address. I had recently moved and the new address.wasn't listed on my CR yet. They just wanted to make sure it was me. They also verified my previous address
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CruzImperial wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Oh I remember Discover did same thing with me. I had to email them proof of enrollment(student) and a scanned Id and SSN.

Btw, they did not verify my income. They were more worried trying to find out if I was in fact a student or not. lol?

Edit: Cap One never verified anything..

I don't think they care too much about your income as a student. Also I don't think Cap One cares to try to get straight answers from you since it's nearly impossible to get straight answers from them.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.