Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Moderator
Posts: 14,051
Registered: ‎04-15-2011
0

Re: American express, be afraid, be very afraid

I can't speak from experience when it comes to AMEX.  I have never had one of their products, I had applied for the Zync before I got my CRs cleaned up and was denied.

 

 But I have had Chase, Citi, and Discover and I didn't treat them right.  I had COs from all of them, they didn't go to a CA, I paid every penny with the OCs, but still I didn't live up to my part of the bargain.  Now I have good credit and a high income.  Would I be mad if I applied with them and they declined me?  Nope.  And that's the reason why I just haven't applied, just afraid that I would be denied due to my past.

 

I just look at it this way.  They have the money, it's theirs and I'm asking to have access to it.  They don't have to give it to me, I'll just look and find someone else who will.  That's about as plain as I can put it.  So Happy End of Groundhog Day and let's hope this day doesn't repeat.   Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,524
Registered: ‎08-17-2008
0

Re: American express, be afraid, be very afraid


Shogun wrote:

I can't speak from experience when it comes to AMEX.  I have never had one of their products, I had applied for the Zync before I got my CRs cleaned up and was denied.

 

 But I have had Chase, Citi, and Discover and I didn't treat them right.  I had COs from all of them, they didn't go to a CA, I paid every penny with the OCs, but still I didn't live up to my part of the bargain.  Now I have good credit and a high income.  Would I be mad if I applied with them and they declined me?  Nope.  And that's the reason why I just haven't applied, just afraid that I would be denied due to my past.

 

I just look at it this way.  They have the money, it's theirs and I'm asking to have access to it.  They don't have to give it to me, I'll just look and find someone else who will.  That's about as plain as I can put it.  So Happy End of Groundhog Day and let's hope this day doesn't repeat.   Smiley Happy


AMEN Shogun!


Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,569
Registered: ‎11-10-2012
0

Re: American express, be afraid, be very afraid


kimmiller112 wrote:

astritaho1979 wrote:

You do need to be afraid from a lender that treat you like a suspect and not like a customer


Really, you think they are treating you like a "suspect" because they won't approve you because you have a bankruptcy that is less than 8 years old?  I have a bankruptcy that will be 8 years old in October and I am looking forward applying for an Amex at the end of the year.  You want to say how wonderful Citi is, especially since you got approved with a bankruptcy, but that is the reason I have been declined with them.  Amex is very conservative and I can appreciate that, after all, it is my fault that I had to claim bankruptcy - don't bash them because you can't get approved given your circumstances.  They just see people with bankruptcies less than 8 years old as too risky, and that is just the way they do business.


+1. These people are giving you a lot of buying power, on loan. It is not one little bit wrong to keep people honest by making sure that they have integrity and they do what they say that they do, or have what they say they have. Amex doesn't owe anybody anything, but they lend to people on their word -- it is absolutely reasonable for them to say "show me" from time to time. The people who hate this the most probably stretched the truth on their application a bit and cover it up with anger (this is definitely not directed at anybody within this thread, I just mean in general).



My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,673
Registered: ‎11-11-2012
0

Re: American express, be afraid, be very afraid

[ Edited ]

Swapmeet wrote:

kimmiller112 wrote:

astritaho1979 wrote:

You do need to be afraid from a lender that treat you like a suspect and not like a customer


Really, you think they are treating you like a "suspect" because they won't approve you because you have a bankruptcy that is less than 8 years old?  I have a bankruptcy that will be 8 years old in October and I am looking forward applying for an Amex at the end of the year.  You want to say how wonderful Citi is, especially since you got approved with a bankruptcy, but that is the reason I have been declined with them.  Amex is very conservative and I can appreciate that, after all, it is my fault that I had to claim bankruptcy - don't bash them because you can't get approved given your circumstances.  They just see people with bankruptcies less than 8 years old as too risky, and that is just the way they do business.


+1. These people are giving you a lot of buying power, on loan. It is not one little bit wrong to keep people honest by making sure that they have integrity and they do what they say that they do, or have what they say they have. Amex doesn't owe anybody anything, but they lend to people on their word -- it is absolutely reasonable for them to say "show me" from time to time. The people who hate this the most probably stretched the truth on their application a bit and cover it up with anger (this is definitely not directed at anybody within this thread, I just mean in general).


It's certainly not one little bit wrong to keep people honest, but of course it is wrong to do things leading to,  e.g.: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444138104578030363791360552.html,

 

where AMEX had  to pay $125M to settle its violations of federal law, concerning among other things, deception, failure to report disputes to CRA, age discrimination etc.

 

Yes, it's all a business and part of many big businesses is perhaps a certain willingness to perhaps not quite follow all the rules that get in the way of a good profit.

Amex may be a very good company, but it's out for its shareholders, not you, so a certain wariness on OUR part is justified.  As Wolf3 so correctly said:

 

Many on this site worship AMEX, so hostility is to be expected, whenever someone reports their bad behaviour.    AMEX, they don't have your back!

 


If the OP had been talking about Cap One or Barclays, he/she wouldn't have got the "no smoke without fire" type remarks.  And before you say, well, that's because Amex has earned our respect, unlike the others, reread the link!

 

 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,039
Registered: ‎01-24-2012
0

Re: American express, be afraid, be very afraid


bs6054 wrote:


It's certainly not one little bit wrong to keep people honest, but of course it is wrong to do things leading to,  e.g.: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444138104578030363791360552.html,

 

where AMEX had  to pay $125M to settle its violations of federal law, concerning among other things, deception, failure to report disputes to CRA, age discrimination etc.

 

Yes, it's all a business and part of many big businesses is perhaps a certain willingness to perhaps not quite follow all the rules that get in the way of a good profit.

Amex may be a very good company, but it's out for its shareholders, not you, so a certain wariness on OUR part is justified.  As Wolf3 so correctly said:

 

Many on this site worship AMEX, so hostility is to be expected, whenever someone reports their bad behaviour.    AMEX, they don't have your back!

 


If the OP had been talking about Cap One or Barclays, he/she wouldn't have got the "no smoke without fire" type remarks.  And before you say, well, that's because Amex has earned our respect, unlike the others, reread the link!

 

 


Well I really do not fault them for trying to get the money that they are rightfully owed. The people who payed the old account to get a new one have no room to argue about not being fair, in my opinion.

 

I do agree that it seems on here American Express can do no wrong. I see many posts with people saying Barclays sucks and to not care if they close the card, but with American Express people will do anything to keep the account open. Just for my own curiousity I asked several people in person that I knew and did not know and not all of them even knew what American Express was exactly. Some people thought it was just for business owners and some people, like me, thought it was under Capital One. A few people did know and said they were the best for everything and they only use American Express. I also asked them if they thought it was exclusive or only for rich people and only five people thought that, out of around thirty? people I asked. So round here in Maryland, it appears American Express is not that well known.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,569
Registered: ‎11-10-2012
0

Re: American express, be afraid, be very afraid

Too many people are way too caught up in what kind of status they are exuding with a particular credit card. Haters are going to hate; The people that love them are going to back them up. At the end of the longest day, they are just credit cards, or loan opportunities. And just because a business isn't all rosey and perfect does not change my opinion of them. My opinion of a credit card company is a direct result of my own dealings with them. In that sense, I have no real opinion on Amex yet, and First Premiere has served me well. Go figure.



My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Regular Contributor
Posts: 249
Registered: ‎12-24-2012
0

Re: American express, be afraid, be very afraid


Swapmeet wrote:

Too many people are way too caught up in what kind of status they are exuding with a particular credit card. Haters are going to hate; The people that love them are going to back them up. At the end of the longest day, they are just credit cards, or loan opportunities. And just because a business isn't all rosey and perfect does not change my opinion of them. My opinion of a credit card company is a direct result of my own dealings with them. In that sense, I have no real opinion on Amex yet, and First Premiere has served me well. Go figure.


Very logical!

Established Contributor
Posts: 939
Registered: ‎07-24-2012
0

Re: American express, be afraid, be very afraid


navigatethis12 wrote:

bs6054 wrote:


It's certainly not one little bit wrong to keep people honest, but of course it is wrong to do things leading to,  e.g.: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444138104578030363791360552.html,

 

where AMEX had  to pay $125M to settle its violations of federal law, concerning among other things, deception, failure to report disputes to CRA, age discrimination etc.

 

Yes, it's all a business and part of many big businesses is perhaps a certain willingness to perhaps not quite follow all the rules that get in the way of a good profit.

Amex may be a very good company, but it's out for its shareholders, not you, so a certain wariness on OUR part is justified.  As Wolf3 so correctly said:

 

Many on this site worship AMEX, so hostility is to be expected, whenever someone reports their bad behaviour.    AMEX, they don't have your back!

 


If the OP had been talking about Cap One or Barclays, he/she wouldn't have got the "no smoke without fire" type remarks.  And before you say, well, that's because Amex has earned our respect, unlike the others, reread the link!

 

 


Well I really do not fault them for trying to get the money that they are rightfully owed. The people who payed the old account to get a new one have no room to argue about not being fair, in my opinion.

 

I do agree that it seems on here American Express can do no wrong. I see many posts with people saying Barclays sucks and to not care if they close the card, but with American Express people will do anything to keep the account open. Just for my own curiousity I asked several people in person that I knew and did not know and not all of them even knew what American Express was exactly. Some people thought it was just for business owners and some people, like me, thought it was under Capital One. A few people did know and said they were the best for everything and they only use American Express. I also asked them if they thought it was exclusive or only for rich people and only five people thought that, out of around thirty? people I asked. So round here in Maryland, it appears American Express is not that well known.


Lol. We should be sure to let AMEX know they need to blanket your part or Maryland with some leaflets or flyers or something. 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,673
Registered: ‎11-11-2012
0

Re: American express, be afraid, be very afraid


navigatethis12 wrote:

Well I really do not fault them for trying to get the money that they are rightfully owed. The people who payed the old account to get a new one have no room to argue about not being fair, in my opinion.



 

But there are right and wrong ones to go about getting the money you are rightfully owed.   Some types of "lenders" get great results by threatening to break legs (and following through when a lesson is needed).   Amex didn't do that, but they did violate existing laws, hence the action.

 

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 451
Registered: ‎10-02-2011
0

Re: American express, be afraid, be very afraid


Shogun wrote:

I can't speak from experience when it comes to AMEX.  I have never had one of their products, I had applied for the Zync before I got my CRs cleaned up and was denied.

 

 But I have had Chase, Citi, and Discover and I didn't treat them right.  I had COs from all of them, they didn't go to a CA, I paid every penny with the OCs, but still I didn't live up to my part of the bargain.  Now I have good credit and a high income.  Would I be mad if I applied with them and they declined me?  Nope.  And that's the reason why I just haven't applied, just afraid that I would be denied due to my past.

 

I just look at it this way.  They have the money, it's theirs and I'm asking to have access to it.  They don't have to give it to me, I'll just look and find someone else who will.  That's about as plain as I can put it.  So Happy End of Groundhog Day and let's hope this day doesn't repeat.   Smiley Happy


I burnd citi6yrs ago in ch 7bkand got approved a week ago for 7k and 3 days later a cli for 1.5 k

wich is what iasked for and approved so go ahead apply and see whats happen

good luck

 


COMMERCE BANK PLATINIUM VISA 20K*PAYPAL MC $9.5K*CITI FORWARD $8.5K*PENFED $6,5K*
*LOWES $6K *CMN BANK $5.2K-*PNC $5K*SCLUB DISC. $5K*
WMART DISC.4K*CMN BANK 3.75K*BANK OF AMERICA $3K* MACYS $2.2K*
JCP $1.8*TARGET $0.7K* UTL1%- AAOA 5.5- TOTAL 12 yrs History/
Transunion 718 Equifax 733- Experian 736

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.