Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmericanExpress Platinum SPL question

tag
kaw943
Regular Contributor

AmericanExpress Platinum SPL question

Good Morning Forums, I wanted to try and get some answers here that I am not getting from Amex.  I have my platinum card since 2013 never been late with them they have always been on autopay since day one.  In April of 2015 I noticed when logging in online that my card went from No pre set limit to 5031.00,  this doesn't make since so I called in and I was advised that this is not anything negative just what I can spend in max without requiring approval.  This was my first prime card so I didn't think anything of it , fast forward today and I also after having the Amex Every Day Preferred card to ask for a CLI 3X to be exact.  I was denied and the reason it says denied was that one or more of my cards has a spending limit on it.  I called and spoke with 16 different reps and finally someone said stayed on while I was transferred (long story horry from CS) to the CLI Dept 1-800-576-8942 this department said yes it was denied because if there is a spending limit no a charge card it is looked at as negative as charge cards should always be set to No Pre Set Spending limit regardless.  I asked how I could get this lifted and no one knows I have since spoken with a grand total of 22 representatives between Account Services, Credit Dept, Credit Limit Increase Department, Responsible Lending Department and no one can seem to take the steps to remove this or at least tell me what I need to do.  I am hoping that someone can help me here as this has made me want to cancel my Amex Platinum and my Amex EveryDay Preferred.  As of now I can never get a limit increase on my revolver with them if the charge card has a SPL on it.   Thanks and sorry for the long story ( FIco from Amex is 749,) my yearly salary is 92k I have no bad outside of a late payment of 30 days back in 2014 that has been since removed after I disputed it with Chase bank.  

Trans 740| Equifax 722| Experian 733| Chase Sapphire Reserve 20k|Discover It 12k| Bofa Cash Rewards 22k| Citi Prestige 11k and AA Executive WEMC 22k|Amazon SC 7k|FNBO TravElite 10k| Amex Plat NSPL, Everyday Preferred 6k|PenFed Plat Rewards
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
CostantinoA
Established Contributor

Re: AmericanExpress Platinum SPL question

I would like to know as well.

Experian - 695 (4Y1M AA, 33 INQ)
Transunion - 686 (1Y5M AA, 30 INQ)
Equifax - 726 (3Y1M AA, 4 INQ)
Total Credit Lines: $99,387
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Global limits are indeed deragatory, but usually temporary actions placed exclusively by the Responsible Lending Action team. A letter is systematically dispatched approximately 48 hours after the limit is placed both informing you of the action and the reasons for it. RLA is the only sub-group within credit who would know the exact reasons since they're the only ones who can place it. Global limits cannot be appealed.
Message 3 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Wow, thats alot of reps in the not know and here you get 1 simple reply from an ex Amex employee that may be what happened. Crazy world indeed. Did you never get this letter. Anything happened to make Amex put up the block? Sorry about the inconvienances.
Message 4 of 13
kaw943
Regular Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Wow, thats alot of reps in the not know and here you get 1 simple reply from an ex Amex employee that may be what happened. Crazy world indeed. Did you never get this letter. Anything happened to make Amex put up the block? Sorry about the inconvienances.

To tell you the truth AverageJoesCredit, the reps informed me that the SPL was added back in 2014.  I have no recolection of the letter that supposedly went out however I could have just filed it with the billing statements that they continued to send after I went paperless, thinking that it was just that and shredded it.  My problem is not so much of the limit but that I was informed that the limit should have been removed usually within 6-12 months after speaking with so many different reps, however they couldn't direct me the actual department that makes the decision just endless cold transfers to CLI, Responsible Lending, Customer Service and back.  

Trans 740| Equifax 722| Experian 733| Chase Sapphire Reserve 20k|Discover It 12k| Bofa Cash Rewards 22k| Citi Prestige 11k and AA Executive WEMC 22k|Amazon SC 7k|FNBO TravElite 10k| Amex Plat NSPL, Everyday Preferred 6k|PenFed Plat Rewards
Message 5 of 13
kaw943
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Global limits are indeed deragatory, but usually temporary actions placed exclusively by the Responsible Lending Action team. A letter is systematically dispatched approximately 48 hours after the limit is placed both informing you of the action and the reasons for it. RLA is the only sub-group within credit who would know the exact reasons since they're the only ones who can place it. Global limits cannot be appealed.

Thank you for the valuable information Pooka89, do you think that I should just cancel the platinum card and my everyday preferred card since it is obvious that this SPL is not going to be removed if it has been in place since 2014?  This really limits any growth even though I do not have anything outside of what I listed in initial post as any hint of negative which has been removed by chase since the payment had actually been received prior to actually going 30 days late.  Whats also weird is I cancelled my PRG, and Blue Cash because of this and no one told me then after I asked why the Blue Cash never received any CLI's, I think applied for the Everyday preferred and was approved and now that account will never get CLI's.  Again I am thinking just end the relationship both cards have zero balances as of now. 

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you otherwise find value in the Platinum Card & EveryDay Preferred, I would keep it as they are nice cards (I personally pair the Schwab Platinum and EveryDay Preferred and it makes for a nice cash-back card with Platinum benefits). While you may have had the Global Limits in place since 2014, that isn't necessarily permanent (though I will acknowledge it's longer than typical). It's ultimately up to you to determine if you'd like to cancel. Accounts with Global Limits are reviewed by RLA every 6 months (it's put in a queue, so they don't "forget"). I can't tell you with certainty what will happen because I didn't work in that department, and I'm no longer with the Company.

When you cancelled your PRG and Blue Cash, you did so with customer service. They receive very limited training related to Credit & Fraud since there are departments dedicated to that, so I suspect they just didn't know which is why they didn't tell you the reasoning. The only reason why I know as much as I do is because I was a level 2 customer service manager in premium servicing, so I learnt as much as possible so that Card Members wouldn't need to be inconvenienced by a transfer (and I could relay information accurately which I think is most important).

I wish you luck on whatever decision you make.

Message 7 of 13
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

A friend of mine had a limit placed on their Platinum after making a few 30+ day late payments.There definitely is some give on the max limit. They were able to get their account back to NPSL after consistently charging up to and over the max limit and making their payments on time. It felt like it took around 6 months to revert back to NPSL which coincides with the timeline the Pooka mentioned.

Message 8 of 13
kaw943
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you otherwise find value in the Platinum Card & EveryDay Preferred, I would keep it as they are nice cards (I personally pair the Schwab Platinum and EveryDay Preferred and it makes for a nice cash-back card with Platinum benefits). While you may have had the Global Limits in place since 2014, that isn't necessarily permanent (though I will acknowledge it's longer than typical). It's ultimately up to you to determine if you'd like to cancel. Accounts with Global Limits are reviewed by RLA every 6 months (it's put in a queue, so they don't "forget"). I can't tell you with certainty what will happen because I didn't work in that department, and I'm no longer with the Company.

When you cancelled your PRG and Blue Cash, you did so with customer service. They receive very limited training related to Credit & Fraud since there are departments dedicated to that, so I suspect they just didn't know which is why they didn't tell you the reasoning. The only reason why I know as much as I do is because I was a level 2 customer service manager in premium servicing, so I learnt as much as possible so that Card Members wouldn't need to be inconvenienced by a transfer (and I could relay information accurately which I think is most important).

I wish you luck on whatever decision you make.

Thanks for your time and energy in providing advice and more answers than I have recevied from the representatives on the phone.  I also use my platinum and everyday preferred in tandom for that exact reason. Me wanting to cancel is more out of frastration of not know why and how to get my account back to what I and they perceive as normal.  I called again and was cold transferred to the responsible lending area where the automated voice response took over, had me verify my info and advise that my account was in good standing.  Then it advised me to hang up so this is why I am so frustrated the (automated system, reps, website) all say different things.Its just frustrating thats all... 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do know from experience in servicing Card Members that after 12 months, while they know you have the global limit still, they no longer have the reasons on record. Please don't ask me to explain that logic -- I don't understand how they can have someone under a derogatory action without retaining the reason for at least the entire duration. That may be the reason for your inconsistent responses and service even from the credit gates. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience and frustration that this has all caused you.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.