Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ameriprise Amex Platinum

tag
NegotiatorRogerSmith
New Contributor

Re: Ameriprise Amex Platinum

@Membersince2013 wrote:
I got declined... Reason wasn't because I wasn't an Ameriprise member either. I'm gonna recon a couple of times and see how it goes.

Sorry to hear it...

When did you apply? I was under the impression you had already applied from your previous message.

Was it an instant decline online, or did you get a pending decision?

Also, if it's not salting the wound when the time comes, please share your risk factor statement from AMEX with us upon receipt. It would be interesting to see the (often vague) reason(s) creditors list for their decision, then have underwriting clarify it, which they should.

As long as you can sufficiently back up why you applied in the first place, fight it--politely, but sternly--to the bitter end. You have nothing to lose at that point... at least that's how I handle it.

I'll be rooting for ya!

Message 11 of 52
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

The guy I spoke with said I had too many inq (12) and my length of accounts with Amex hasn't been long. Mind you, I opened my first Amex account last year and I now have 5 accounts with them. 4 revolvers and 1 charge card, never hard I problem with any of my accounts. I always pay on time and I pay in full on 3 of my accounts. Except the 0% APR one, for obvious reasons. I explained this to him and he told me to wait for the denial letter and request a copy of my EX report, then send it with a letter back to them. He says the pull the used to make the decision was a pull from July (same pull they used to approve my PRG). I told him that Im currently in Amsterdam and won't be back till the 27th, so he says he'll put it up for manual review. I'm probably going to get declined again though, but I plan on applying again before my next trip in December. If I get declined again, I'll apply again before my next trip in March. The benefits are watered down, but the free first year is calling me. I do like the $200 year air incidentals
Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 12 of 52
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Membersince2013 wrote:
The guy I spoke with said I had too many inq (12) and my length of accounts with Amex hasn't been long. Mind you, I opened my first Amex account last year and I now have 5 accounts with them. 4 revolvers and 1 charge card, never hard I problem with any of my accounts. I always pay on time and I pay in full on 3 of my accounts. Except the 0% APR one, for obvious reasons. I explained this to him and he told me to wait for the denial letter and request a copy of my EX report, then send it with a letter back to them. He says the pull the used to make the decision was a pull from July (same pull they used to approve my PRG). I told him that Im currently in Amsterdam and won't be back till the 27th, so he says he'll put it up for manual review. I'm probably going to get declined again though, but I plan on applying again before my next trip in December. If I get declined again, I'll apply again before my next trip in March. The benefits are watered down, but the free first year is calling me. I do like the $200 year air incidentals

Five Amex cc's in one year? And if I'm reading your siggy correct, less than 2 years AAOA?

Message 13 of 52
NegotiatorRogerSmith
New Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:

Smiley SurprisedSmiley SurprisedSmiley Surprised

...I can't remotely relate. 5 inq for me is 5 too many... you're insatiabe, lolz

Message 14 of 52
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

I can't see my siggy because im on movile, but I think 1.5 AAOA is about right.

Also Roger Smith, It never occured to me that 5 was too much lol. I honestly think they should get rid of this whole Inq thing and do it based on if you pay in full or over the minimum and some other factors. I feel like the inq thing is redundant, probably because it doesn't benefit me....but regardless, if I want a Platinim card and you see that I can pay for it, why not give it to me?... Just doesn't make any sense to me. That's like going to the dealership with cash and requesting a Mercedes, then having them tell you that you can't buy it because you've been to too many other dealerships looking at other cars before deciding you want a Mercedes. It's redudant lol.
Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Message 15 of 52
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

LOL @ your way of thinking.
Message 16 of 52
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:
I can't see my siggy because im on movile, but I think 1.5 AAOA is about right.

Also Roger Smith, It never occured to me that 5 was too much lol. I honestly think they should get rid of this whole Inq thing and do it based on if you pay in full or over the minimum and some other factors. I feel like the inq thing is redundant, probably because it doesn't benefit me....but regardless, if I want a Platinim card and you see that I can pay for it, why not give it to me?... Just doesn't make any sense to me. That's like going to the dealership with cash and requesting a Mercedes, then having them tell you that you can't buy it because you've been to too many other dealerships looking at other cars before deciding you want a Mercedes. It's redudant lol.

I think the whole inq things is for so when they look at your credit report, if you have too many you may look an bit desperate for credit. So you weren't declined for not being ameriprise member ? this card i am kind of interested in but afraid that i wouldn't get it because of ameriprise membership

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 17 of 52
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

The number of inq's doesn't seem high but I think it's the number of TLs + number of new TLs with Amex  - in less than a year. 

Message 18 of 52
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Well KennyRS, it's true.

Also, Mongstradamus, the whole credit thing is a game of risk. They give us money and trust us to pay back. Regardless of how they do it, they'll still taking a risk. Of course I'm desperate for credit lol! I want to stop using cash and get paid for buying crap that I was gonna buy with the cash anyway. If a creditor wants to give me a 2 year 0% APR (Barclays), why would I say no lol? I'm always desperate for credit and it's defnitely not because I can't afford what I card, it's because these companies are giving me opportunities to save my money for a year or 2 instead of spending it on that new tv I want from bestbuy. All I'm saying is that they can easily look at my history with them and make an easy judgement call. I can obviously pay. I made big purchases on my charge card and paid them off. It baffled me that they declined my 2k+ purchase at BJs a couples of weeks back, but then let me charge that same amount after I called in...

Message 19 of 52
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:
Well KennyRS, it's true.

Also,Mongstradamus, the whole credit thing is a game of risk. They give us money and trust us to pay back. Regardless of how they do it, they'll still taking a risk. Of course I'm desperate for creditlol! I want to stop using cash and get paid for buying crap that I was gonna buy with the cash anyway. If a creditor wants to give me a 2 year 0% APR (Barclays), why would I say nolol? I'm always desperate for credit and it'sdefnitely not because I can't afford what I card, it's because these companies are giving me opportunities to save my money for a year or 2 instead of spending it on that newtv I want frombestbuy. All I'm saying is that they can easily look at my history with them and make an easy judgement call. I can obviously pay. I made big purchases on my charge card and paid them off. It baffled me that they declined my2k+ purchase atBJs a couples of weeks back, but then let me charge that same amount after I called in...

Its not about you in particular , but i am sure they have some kind of algorithm where when an lot of people are desperate for credit, they usually are very risky and may default on loan or cc. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 20 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.