Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex $113 Chargeoff- CS dropped over 100 points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex $113 Chargeoff- CS dropped over 100 points

I’m trying to figure out what to do about a chargeoff on an old Amex account.  Here’s the short scoop:

I hadn’t used the card in over 2 years, and they started sending me mail, which I assumed were those “use these checks to get cash!” type mailings, since I hadn’t been using the card & knew there was no balance, so I just tossed them into my documents file unopened. Turns out they started charging an annual fee for said card, and started assessing a late fee for non-payment for every month missed.

I didn’t tune into the fact until about 6 months in, when I finally opened what had turned out to be bills.  I called right away and they offered to discharge the late fees if I paid the annual fee, and instead I asked to have the card cancelled since I never used it and didn’t even know where the card was.  They would not allow me to cancel the card because I didn’t have the 4-digit ‘security code’ for the card—which I explained to them was because I didn’t know where the card was.  Now granted, I was rude to the customer service rep because I was angry over the whole thing, and I ended up saying I’d call back to cancel later and hung up. 

At this point, they stopped sending me any mailings and I totally forgot about the entire issue until….I ran a credit report this year and found that my credit dropped from 810 avg to a 706 avg – over 100 points!  The $113 chargeoff from Amex is the ONLY negative on my entire credit history of 15 years.  I’m just agog that a single negative report can drop one’s score so much.

Of course I want to return to my previous high score, especially because I want to refinance my mortgage.  What is my best and/or quickest course of action?  Call them and offer to pay up?  Send a goodwill letter?  I’ve tried searching through the forums, but there are a lot of amex posts and I couldn’t find any that were relevant to my particular situation.  Thanks in advance for your advice.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Amex $113 Chargeoff- CS dropped over 100 points

Call the Oasis program and see if you qualify for that. Then they will remove the negative information and also issue an Optima Oasis card. It is worth trying.
Message 2 of 6
Meme60

How do I get AMEX to remove my negative info on credit report after paying them for my CO and being issued a new Optima Card thru Oasis?
Message 3 of 6
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Ask the CSR at Oasis Support and they will remove the negative information from your CR's.
Message 4 of 6
Meme60

Do you have that number?
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Red1Blue wrote:
Ask the CSR at Oasis Support and they will remove the negative information from your CR's.

concorduser.. When Amex finally reported your Optima, converting the old TL, were all of your previous lates removed, or just the charge-off status?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.