cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 2X rewards when you shop small email?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex 2X rewards when you shop small email?

I received this yesterday, wondering if everyone else did as well.  I have the BCE card so maybe it's just for BC products.  The email stated this:

From now until December 31, you can get 2X rewards when you use your enrolled Blue Cash Everyday® Card to Shop Small in your neighborhood. And with more places than ever now accepting American Express, there's never been a better time to get out and show your love for small business.

You can click on a map and see all of the local businesses (like 100) that it counts toward.  I've only had my card for a few months, so I know very little about Amex and their offers or programs.  Is this something pretty typical that they do or is it something new? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex 2X rewards when you shop small email?

Yup. Someone else shared a link for other members to enroll multiple cards. I also found this offer just by logging into my account.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had 12 stores on mine. I live in a small town. 9 of them were liquor stores.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX started 'Small Business Saturday' and have used it and 'Shop Small' as some great marketing to build their relationship on the merchant end and offer deals on the consumer end as well.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was going to post this today, but you beat me to it.

The offer seems be be available on a wide variety of AmEx-issued cards. I added the offer to my Simply Cash Small Business card. Bringing non-category spend to a total of 2% CB would be a "who cares" except that I'm also in the middle an offer for $50 for spending $5,000 on this card. Since I would have spent $2,500 on this card during the spending period anyhow, that offer gave me $50 for putting an additional $2,500 on the card, so a total of 3% on non-category spending. With this small business offer, using this card at small businesses will goose my total earnings just a little more to a total of 4% for those purchases.

It's not bad, but nothing compared to the gravy days of AmEx Small Business shopping offers. For a number of years there (starting in 2009), they celebrated Small Business Saturday (the day after Black Friday) by offering $25 off a $25 or more purchase at any small business (one offer per card). With 3-4 AmEx cards enrolled, I racked up free tools at the local Ace Hardware, free gas at independent gas stations, free booze at the liquor store, and lots and lots of free $25 gift cards for local restaurants! Then one year they changed the offer to $10 off, then the next year started to offer smaller discounts like $10 off $100 for specific customers. Last year I got zip on all four AmEx cards. This year's extra 1% will get me to crank out the AmEx a bit more, but is only going to shift spending, and earn me maybe $10 extra overall. But hey, better than nothin.

Funny thing is, these small business offers really do prompt me to change behavior. I actually specifically *avoid* using AmEx at small businesses, under the impression that AmEx charges larger swipe fees, and thus cost the small merchant more to process. But I guess if they choose to accept AmEx, and AmEx is going to specifically encourage me to use the card at small businesses, I'll take the bait.

Chris.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.