Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 2nd Chance?

tag
rredstick9
Valued Member

Amex 2nd Chance?

I got a preapproved AMEX Green letter in the mail last year, I applied and was approved.  I paid the whole balance on time for 3 straight months.  The 4th month my checking account / debit card account was hacked so I could not pay the entire balance but I paid half since money was missing in my account.  I figured some was better than none.  They immediate closed my account and reported 1 time 30 days late.  I called and they did not seem to care and I even offered to have the bank send a letter that I was disputing the fraud.  It was rectified with my bank and immediately paid the balance.   Do I have a chance of opening another card back up again?  Anyone have this experience or any advice?  Is there an easier AMEX to get approved for?  Number to call?  If its been a year, too late to reinstate?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Amex 2nd Chance?

Request move to CC to better help OP 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I think Green is the easiest to get approved for...?

Also, have you tried apping for it again? How long ago was this? What are you stats? Aaoa? Baddies? Utilization? Any scores?

We just need more info. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

@rredstick9 wrote:

I got a preapproved AMEX Green letter in the mail last year, I applied and was approved.  I paid the whole balance on time for 3 straight months.  The 4th month my checking account / debit card account was hacked so I could not pay the entire balance but I paid half since money was missing in my account.  I figured some was better than none.  They immediate closed my account and reported 1 time 30 days late.  I called and they did not seem to care and I even offered to have the bank send a letter that I was disputing the fraud.  It was rectified with my bank and immediately paid the balance.   Do I have a chance of opening another card back up again?  Anyone have this experience or any advice?  Is there an easier AMEX to get approved for?  Number to call?  If its been a year, too late to reinstate?

they most likely cannot reopen an account that was closed over a year ago.

since you did pay the balance back in full, you should not be on Amex's blacklist. So technically you should have a chance of getting approved for another card, but it may take some time for the derog(s) to age.

The easiest amex cards to get approved for are their charge cards, which includes the green card.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 9
Leadberry
Established Contributor

As long as you satisfied your outstanding debts with Amex, getting back in shouldn't be an issue.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 5 of 9
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@Leadberry wrote:

As long as you satisfied your outstanding debts with Amex, getting back in shouldn't be an issue.

^^^yup

I screwed the pooch with them back in 06, and since then - they've been MORE than helpful for me.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 6 of 9
rredstick9
Valued Member

so I applied and was denied.  I havent had any derog in over 2 years.  My scores are all over the place depending where you look.  in the mid 600's on average.  

I called the Executive office and explained what happened back then and she took notes and is having a VP of new accounts review it for me.  I pleaded that i deserve another chance.  We shall see!

Any thoughts?

Message 7 of 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

GL! You've given us no details so we can't have any thoughts other than wishes of good luck! Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 9
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@KennyS2006 wrote:
GL! You've given us no details so we can't have any thoughts other than wishes of good luck! Smiley Happy

+1

It's hard for us to give you any kind of analysis when we don't know what your credit looks like.  Smiley Tongue

FICO Scores 800+
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.