Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 3X CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex 3X CLI

yes. i brought the chalk so let's chalk it up to that. simple enough.
Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I opened my Amex ED in May of last year, instantly approved at $2k, lowest limit of all of my cards currently. No love for a CLI of any kind since them, which I find strange considering I run anywhere from 1-3k through my Platinum card a month. That said I'm in the vast minority it seems, I've read many times of people getting 3x increases, just not me Smiley Sad
Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I opened my Amex ED in May of last year, instantly approved at $2k, lowest limit of all of my cards currently. No love for a CLI of any kind since them, which I find strange considering I run anywhere from 1-3k through my Platinum card a month. That said I'm in the vast minority it seems, I've read many times of people getting 3x increases, just not me Smiley Sad

It's not just you.  There are many people that go thru long periods of time without being able to get CLIs from Amex and sometimes it's hard to know why.  How much do you use the ED card per month?  what reasons are they listing on the denial letters?

Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't get my 3x either after I waited last year.

If I'm AU on my wife's card and she gets a CLI, will that still allow me to get a CLI on my own personal cards?

Also, I'm sure AmEx was the one where only ONE card can get an increase every 180 days, right? So basically I have to choose which one I want to get an increase? And if one card gets denied an increase, can I try a different card?

Why can't it be as simple as capital one Smiley Very Happy

Message 24 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you wait 61 days and the account is in good standing, it will work. Just have to be patient!

don't give people info like that with such certainty even though you have no clue. it depends on plenty of factors. 

Well, I do have a clue. Because I've done it. I've read the ENTIRE thread dedicated to it and if it's in good standing, IT WILL WORK. You just have to wait 61 days. 

Absolutely not true.  There is no guarantee that you'll get approved for 3X CLI if you wait the 61 days.  There have been plenty of people denied.  Far too many people like yourself think the '61 day CLI' is some sort of guarantee when its not.

+1 Irish

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you wait 61 days and the account is in good standing, it will work. Just have to be patient!

don't give people info like that with such certainty even though you have no clue. it depends on plenty of factors. 

Well, I do have a clue. Because I've done it. I've read the ENTIRE thread dedicated to it and if it's in good standing, IT WILL WORK. You just have to wait 61 days. 

Not necessarily. My account was in good standing at 61 days and no increase. However, on day 91 BAM 3X increase. I've read the other thread and I've read where folks were able to do it at activation. I tried upon activation and no go. I tried at day 61 and again, no go. Day 91, it worked. I don't know if it's due to the fact that it was 91 days or if I had shown something that AMEX liked during that time. I put all of my groceries on it and use it for the offers and always pay in full. I chatted with a CSR after I tried for the CLI the second time and received an email to contact them, and he said to try in March after it had been 90 days. Of course, I took this with a grain of salt.

Message 26 of 27
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@MyLoFICO wrote:

My mom got her new Amex card today. How do you do the 3X CLI?

Definitely read the 3x CLI Guide.  60 days is no longer enforced but the rest of the guide is still relevant.  I don't have a link but it's always the first hit when I Google "3x CLI".

@MyLoFICO wrote:

Yeah she got the 7-10 day notice. I got her this card and on the approval screen it said once activated you can hit the LUV button. Fail. lol Oh well. Thanks anyway! 

Being able to request is not the same thing as qualifying.  7-10 is not a denial.  Outcome depends on whatever needs to be done.

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay. It's very very very probable.

It's not about odds. It's about what one's credit profile and income qualify for -- same as with any creditor. 

@Anonymous wrote:
I opened my Amex ED in May of last year, instantly approved at $2k, lowest limit of all of my cards currently. No love for a CLI of any kind since them, which I find strange considering I run anywhere from 1-3k through my Platinum card a month. That said I'm in the vast minority it seems, I've read many times of people getting 3x increases, just not me

Nothing strange about it.  Do not rely on the usage meme.  It's never just about the one account.  Your entire credit profile matters.  You cannot just assume that others getting a CLI means that you will as well.  There are plenty of others who do not get a CLI.  How has your credit changed since approved and assigned the initial limit?  Has it improved?  Remained the same?  Become worse?

@Anonymous wrote:

If I'm AU on my wife's card and she gets a CLI, will that still allow me to get a CLI on my own personal cards?

It will not prevent you from being able to request a CLI.  Whether or not you qualify is an entirely separate matter.

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, I'm sure AmEx was the one where only ONE card can get an increase every 180 days, right? So basically I have to choose which one I want to get an increase? And if one card gets denied an increase, can I try a different card?

Why can't it be as simple as capital one Smiley Very Happy

180 days from last CLI as indicated in the 3x CLI Guide.

Every creditor sets its own policies on these things and underwriting requirements can vary as well.  Don't assume that all creditors should be like any one creditor.

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.