Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 3x CLI and Income?

tag
wche
Regular Contributor

Amex 3x CLI and Income?

So I was approved for a AMEX Blue Sky last month with a $5900 limit. On my application, I stated a 35k income. After 61 days when I can request 3x CLI, would it be safe to request  $10,500 (would be my first 5 digit limit). I honestly do not need the increase and already have 28k in total credit lines. All I want is to have a 5 digit limit.

Would it be safe to request that amount given my income and existing credit limits? The increase would put my total credit limits over my income and I'm afraid AMEX would be spooked and FR me (paranoid from all the FR stories here). 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex 3x CLI and Income?

@wche wrote:

So I was approved for a AMEX Blue Sky last month with a $5900 limit. On my application, I stated a 35k income. After 61 days when I can request 3x CLI, would it be safe to request  $10,500 (would be my first 5 digit limit). I honestly do not need the increase and already have 28k in total credit lines. All I want is to have a 5 digit limit.

Would it be safe to request that amount given my income and existing credit limits? The increase would put my total credit limits over my income and I'm afraid AMEX would be spooked and FR me (paranoid from all the FR stories here). 

you should never ask for less than 3x current amex unless it will take you over $25k and even some have stated they have done it and gotten it or countered at $25k... but don't limit yourself what they might give... it will kick back what it will give if not that 3x!

Message 2 of 19
Elcid89
Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@wche wrote:

you should never ask for less than 3x current amex unless it will take you over $25k and even some have stated they have done it and gotten it or countered at $25k... but don't limit yourself what they might give... it will kick back what it will give if not that 3x!

+1

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 3 of 19
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Im going to be in a similar situation in June: I want a $25k lim from $10,500 buuuuut that'd put me up against that horrible avail credit to income ration of 100%. Meh my reported income is 149,100. Currently avail cred is like 135-145,000. Pleass post your results when you get them.
You should request $17,700; that's a 3xcli.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Im going to be in a similar situation in June: I want a $25k lim from $10,500 buuuuut that'd put me up against that horrible avail credit to income ration of 100%. Meh my reported income is 149,100. Currently avail cred is like 135-145,000. Pleass post your results when you get them.
You should request $17,700; that's a 3xcli.

I think "Usually" banks worry more about Debt to income not Credit to Income.  it's very common for people to have credit that exceeds income and or a credit line up around or above income with one bank.

Message 5 of 19
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I think that is the case too. I've not been denied fo "too much avail cred" yet.

Good luck op!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 19
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@wche wrote:

Maybe I can get some help on this. I have an AMEX through USAA. It was just for 1K but I figured with that 3x thing you guys keep talking about it'd be 3k in no time. I waited  almost a year and asked for a CLI. They said I was approved but they gave me $500. Did I do something wrong? Should I have called AMEX instead of USAA? I just don't get what I did wrong, never been late or missed the payment in the year I was with them.

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 7 of 19
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

American Express Centurion Bank is different than USAA.

Totally diff entities, hon. -.-
Message 8 of 19
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
American Express Centurion Bank is different than USAA.

Totally diff entities, hon. -.-

Thanks, I thought you guys were talking about any AMEX logo'd credit card.  I didn't know it had to be offered directly from AMEX. Learn something new everyday. Thanks again. Smiley Happy

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 9 of 19
wche
Regular Contributor

I was also approved for a Discover IT along with the Blue Sky during my spree. Problem is I did a huge balance transfer over to the IT and its at 95% util. However, my overall is about 7%. Will this hurt my chances at a 3x CLI?

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.