cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 3x CLI before I even use the card?

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex 3x CLI before I even use the card?

@bigalkescott514 wrote:

Yesterday American Express approved me for the Everyday card. When I get it should I request the 3x CLI or wait 61 days? It would be sweet to have a 10,500$ credit card at 19!!!!!!!!

Your call to make based on the infrormation in the 3x CLI Guide and where your credit stands versus AmEx's criteria.  Being able to request 3x is not the same thing as qualfiying for 3x.

@Anonymous wrote:

So, weirdly enough, i was only accepted with a 3.5k limit for BCE when i put annual income of 100k and score of relatively 700ish. 

Nothing weird about it.  Limits are not based soley on income and score.  Your entire credit profile matters.

Message 11 of 15
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Keep in mind if declined you do have to wait 90 days to try again.

While one is free to do what they want, I think that being more patient is usually a good idea. People have gotten CLIs at activation time, but asking for 3x before you have even used a card may not be realistic. If they just approved you for x amount, they aren't super likely to say "sure, we'll give you 3x that" right away without establishing a history. Can it happen? Sure. Would I bet on it? Nope.

There is no free lunch, and patience goes a long way. Even waiting a few months could help, just to show at least a bit of a history.

Message 12 of 15
newhis
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Keep in mind if declined you do have to wait 90 days to try again.

While one is free to do what they want, I think that being more patient is usually a good idea. People have gotten CLIs at activation time, but asking for 3x before you have even used a card may not be realistic. If they just approved you for x amount, they aren't super likely to say "sure, we'll give you 3x that" right away without establishing a history. Can it happen? Sure. Would I bet on it? Nope.

There is no free lunch, and patience goes a long way. Even waiting a few months could help, just to show at least a bit of a history.

For some people should be better to apply right away, it will look better on my report that my ED started at 6k instead of 2k for 2 statements and then 6k. Sure my DW got 3.5k and they denied the 3X CLI, but I bet she will get it after 90 days (but they can deny her again). She just got a Sallie Mae at 3k and called next day and they gave her 6k with same pull. I think there is nothing wrong in asking for more, if they take a look at your information and grant you a better limit it helps a lot with utilization.

There are people getting 3X CLI that got 2k, 5k, even 10k as SL. Waiting 61 days could make a difference for some, but may hurt others (new accounts showing, balance on new cards, other INQ).

There is no way to know if someone that got denied at activation could have been approved at 61 days or viceversa, so every card holder should have to decide if they want to try at activation or wait X days to try, knowing if they deny the request they have to wait 90 days for next try, if approved, then 180 days for next try.

Message 13 of 15
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Since you are only 19, they might not be as likely to give you 3x the limit for a while.  As stated it is really what your history looks like.  At 19 you can't have much history....

Even if you have an inflated score because of being an AU on someone else's account, there is still the fact that the longest history you could have had is really only a year.

Yeah, it is possible to have a 700ish credit score at 19, however the history won't be long and that can be a reason for denial of a CLI.

I wish you the best of luck in trying to get it and I know what you mean about being so young and having a high limit.  When I was you age I would have loved to have 1 card with that limit.  Heck in fact I am thrilled to actually have cards with over 10K limits now.  I had to rebuild my credit and was estatic last year when I got my first 10K limit.  Now I have about 5 of them with limits at/over or near 10K.  One of them is an Amex card, but not an Amex Amex card, but a FNBO Amex card.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous514
Established Contributor

HA HA Ha Totally not an AU user on anyones card or anything!! My 700 scores are all me! My denial is inqs (from recent approvals) and my car loan I got in September again no co-signer needed. All my cards are payed early no missed payments. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.