Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 3x cli fail… again

tag
7PM789
Frequent Contributor

Amex 3x cli fail… again

ł have yet to get an increase on my B.C.E. despite two separate attempts. ł'm still stuck with my initial limit of 2.5k despite my scores and other cards steadily increasing. Chase even took my Freedom card from 2.2k to 5k.

Why won't Amex budge?

ł pushed almost 6k (Down payment and goodies) through my Gold charge card the month ł bought my Charger.

Amex B.C.E. - $2.5k - Amex Everyday - $5k - N.C.F.C.U.M.C. - $5k - Amex Gold - NPSL/35k P.O.T. - Discover It - $12k - Sam's Club M.C. - $10k -
Walmart M.C. - $7.5k - Citi T.Y.P. - $10k- Chase Freedom - $5k - Chase Marriott - $7.4k - U.S. Bank Cash + - $6k -
W.M. TU-781(Jan/15) Citi EQ-782(Dec/14) EX-782(Oct/14)
Audi, Vide, Tace. . .
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
xsvspd
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex 3x cli fail… again

I've got the same problem. My initial 3x cli failed, never really got a clear reason. I quit using my BCE. @ $2k limit, it's not much use to me. I'll try again next month, which is 90 days since my last failed cli attempt. We'll see.

Hover over card to see limits

Starting score 3/2013 - 585. Score as of 5/2014 - 725.
Message 2 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

First off, what are the reason(s) for denial?

Second, criteria for creditors vary so you can't just assume that a CLI from creditor X means that creditor Y will also grant a CLI.  While usage can help it's not a make-or-break factor.

Message 3 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

With AMEX, a combination of the most recent SP (overall CR information, including utilization), internal scoring and income/capacity are going to play part in determining future CLIs.  If neither of those align under ideal coniditions, then you won't get one - simple.  It doesn't matter whether your other CCs are giving you increases and leaving AMEX in the dust.

Message 4 of 19
7PM789
Frequent Contributor

At least ł'm not the only one who hasn't had any luck with the infamous 3x increase

Amex B.C.E. - $2.5k - Amex Everyday - $5k - N.C.F.C.U.M.C. - $5k - Amex Gold - NPSL/35k P.O.T. - Discover It - $12k - Sam's Club M.C. - $10k -
Walmart M.C. - $7.5k - Citi T.Y.P. - $10k- Chase Freedom - $5k - Chase Marriott - $7.4k - U.S. Bank Cash + - $6k -
Audi, Vide, Tace. . .
Message 5 of 19
7PM789
Frequent Contributor

This post is not so much a question as it is me venting.

ł'm familiar with how finicky Amex can be.

Audi, Vide, Tace. . .
Message 6 of 19
Berk
Established Contributor

@7PM789 wrote:

This post is not so much a question as it is me venting.

ł'm familiar with how finicky Amex can be.

I don't know that Amex is ffinicky so much as their algorithm is different from other lenders. I have gotten CLIs from Amex with SPs every time I asked with no issue. Citi on the other hand is a very different story. I am always countered for about half the CLI request or I can incure a HP if I want the full amount. Barclays always does a HP no matter what amount I ask for. Discover has always given me what I requested as well with a SP. US Bank wants to do a HP for everry request although they did give me a generous Auto CLI about 3 months ago (5 or 6K) with a SP.

Message 7 of 19
taxi818
Super Contributor

Honestly I think it's the the amount of money you push through the card. That's irrelevant. I would venture to say if you only push 300-400 throughout but with 25 transactions. You would be golden. Gives you lower util. But can easily show responsible behavior. 

Message 8 of 19
EvilR-T
Frequent Contributor

I just gave you kudos because you bought a charger.

Message 9 of 19
gtnitright
Regular Contributor

Today is my 61st day with my BCE card.  I want to pull the trigger but am afraid because I'm carrying a balance.  Has anyone else carried a balance and still got the 3x increase?   I'm also carrying a balance on some other recent cards due to some unforeseen health issues.   Do you think I should pull trigger now or wait until my cards are paid down.   

Starting Score : EQ 635. TU 632 EX 635
Goal Score: 700. br >
.Nordstrom $800 Loft/$800 Cap 1/$3900 Amex BCE $9000br >
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.