cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 3xCLI 7-10 day message!

tag
guy4even

Re: Amex 3xCLI 7-10 day message!

Finally, I chatted with another representative, who gave me the phone number for the credit department. Unfortunately, my CLI request was denied as I feared.

Initially, she said the reasons are confidential and I should get a letter in the mail, but on further persuasion, she told me that my internal risk score is high and cited at least 7 or 8 usual BS reasons - too many inquiries, too many cards with balance, very high utilization, blah blah blah. None of them are true though. I had 3 or 4 inquiries in the last 12 months, my utilization is ~ 15%.

Recently, I took up a new job and pay increased 4 times. I was told on the phone that my Experian credit score is 751.  I always paid my card in full after running decent amounts through it. I never even in my dream, thought that my CLI request would be denied though! Anyways, best of luck to others who are waiting on the decision. I will try again in 2 months.

My Cards: American Express BCE (10/2013) Bank of America ACP Master card (10/2011), Bank of America Cash back Visa (3/2013), Chase Slate Visa (10/2013), Citi Forward Visa (12/2010), Citi Thank you Preferred Visa (9/2013), Discover More (10/2011)
My Loans: Auto - 27000/29000 (0%APR for 60 months) (06/2013), Student loan - (8.875%APR for 20 years)10280/10000 (12/2010)
Message 11 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@guy4even wrote:

Finally, I chatted with another representative, who gave me the phone number for the credit department. Unfortunately, my CLI request was denied as I feared.

Initially, she said the reasons are confidential and I should get a letter in the mail, but on further persuasion, she told me that my internal risk score is high and cited at least 7 or 8 usual BS reasons - too many inquiries, too many cards with balance, very high utilization, blah blah blah. None of them are true though. I had 3 or 4 inquiries in the last 12 months, my utilization is ~ 15%.

Recently, I took up a new job and pay increased 4 times. I was told on the phone that my Experian credit score is 751.  I always paid my card in full after running decent amounts through it. I never even in my dream, thought that my CLI request would be denied though! Anyways, best of luck to others who are waiting on the decision. I will try again in 2 months.

Sorry for the denial.  Unfortunately, you cannot try again for 90 days, not 2 mos. as far as the reasons, Amex is big on their internal score. 

Message 12 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Norcal5 wrote:

I just wanted to add to this thread and let you know my experience so far with Amex.

I was approved for the Blue Cash Everyday card.

I called to get a initial credit limit increase and went through about 4 customer service reps and 4 phone calls to finally speak to someone who was willing to actually listen.

The reason I asked for the higher initial limit was because another card gave me more to start with.....

They said wait 60 days....anyways just wanted to say that I think their customer service over the phone sucks I have a bad feeling about them already.

In your case once you clicked the credit limit increase button it should not be there anymore since it is pending right....and you should be at least able to speak to a human to see what is going on after 3 Whole days in my opinion, I completely feel your pain Smiley Happy; This is American Express right??  Things we expect like great customer service and favoring your applicants that you have approved....???? Hello????  Can you guys learn anything from Discover....

Over and over again, it's been stated that Amex CLI policy is 61 days from account creation.  Getting upset that they did not change their policy because 'another card gave me more to start with.....'  leaves you open to being upset again.  Lenders do not match CL's, there is nothing wrong with asking but be aware that lenders have their own UW guidelines.

Message 13 of 19
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Lexie is absolutely correct!!! 

All AMEX members have the right to a 3CLI request after 61 days.  But no one has the right to an increase on demand.  

FWIW, I love amex.  

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 14 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@guy4even wrote:

I recently requested the 3xcli from 6K to 18K and got the 7-10 day message. How can I check the status of the request online?

When I click on the request increase in credit line, it is still showing me an option to request the credit line increase! What does it mean? That I have been denied? It has been 3 business days and still no email response! I am getting very imaptient, is there any backdoor number for finding out my status?

A bit late now since you know it resulted in a denial but 3 business days is not more than 7-10 days.  If you're impatient you're going to have all sorts of problems with various aspects of credit.

All 7-10 means is that a manual review is needed.  It may lead to a denial.  It may lead to income verification.  It may lead to an approval.  There's no telling until the manual review is complete.  This is a very common topic so don't overlook existing threads as additional resources.

@guy4even wrote:

They sometimes use an old soft pull so if your 15% is recent then they may have not seen it.  As for too many inquiries there isn't a fixed threshold that applies to everyone.  If your internal risk score is poor (common with thin credit files) then they're going to be much more inquiry senstiive than someone with a much better internal score.  If you aren't happy with the outcome then work on your credit and try again when you're eligible to request again.

@Norcal5 wrote:

The reason I asked for the higher initial limit was because another card gave me more to start with.....

Creditors have varying underwriting criteria.  You can't simply expect creditor A to match what creditor B was willing to extend to you.

Just as an example, AmEx gave me about half the limit on a Chase card that was given to me.  Discover gave me about less than half of what AmEx gave me.  However, both of these have increased over time with responsible usage.  The AmEx is now equal to that Chase card and the Discover is fairly close to the initial limit of the AmEx.  Again, a lot of credit related matters take time (and responsbility).

Message 15 of 19
Norcal5
Valued Member

@core wrote:

Norcal you really called 4-5 different times about this?  And you're now upset because they wouldn't give you a CLI on a brand new account before your 61 days are even up?  Wow.  

The reason I called is irrelevant.....the customer service was no good I am telling you...

Message 16 of 19
Norcal5
Valued Member

@09Lexie wrote:

@Norcal5 wrote:

I just wanted to add to this thread and let you know my experience so far with Amex.

I was approved for the Blue Cash Everyday card.

I called to get a initial credit limit increase and went through about 4 customer service reps and 4 phone calls to finally speak to someone who was willing to actually listen.

They said wait 60 days....anyways just wanted to say that I think their customer service over the phone sucks I have a bad feeling about them already.

In your case once you clicked the credit limit increase button it should not be there anymore since it is pending right....and you should be at least able to speak to a human to see what is going on after 3 Whole days in my opinion, I completely feel your pain Smiley Happy; This is American Express right??  Things we expect like great customer service and favoring your applicants that you have approved....???? Hello????  Can you guys learn anything from Discover....

Over and over again, it's been stated that Amex CLI policy is 61 days from account creation.  Getting upset that they did not change their policy because 'another card gave me more to start with.....'  leaves you open to being upset again.  Lenders do not match CL's, there is nothing wrong with asking but be aware that lenders have their own UW guidelines.

The reason I called a couple of times was because the customer service reps sounded incompetent lol also I am not upset it did not hurt to try; to be honest with you I almost got the cli increase with the last rep I spoke to Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 19
core
Valued Contributor

Norcal I understand what you're saying about CS, and I didn't mean to get on your case, but this ain't Burger King.  You can't have it your way.  They never should have even entertained the idea.  Or given you the impression that they were going to.  61 days isn't that long!

But hey, if the last CSR seemed ready to give it to you, maybe you can use your charm and convince the next one to actually do it.  It actually sounds like you made some progress.

Tread lightly though.  Amex tracks everything.  Every call is tracked, and every call (at any company, not just Amex) has a cost.  Amex knows this more than most.  The second your expected cost as a customer becomes more than your expected profit, they are going to cut you loose.  As Ramsey likes to say, sometimes you have to fire a customer.

Message 18 of 19
Norcal5
Valued Member

@core wrote:

Norcal I understand what you're saying about CS, and I didn't mean to get on your case, but this ain't Burger King.  You can't have it your way.  They never should have even entertained the idea.  Or given you the impression that they were going to.  61 days isn't that long!

But hey, if the last CSR seemed ready to give it to you, maybe you can use your charm and convince the next one to actually do it.  It actually sounds like you made some progress.

Tread lightly though.  Amex tracks everything.  Every call is tracked, and every call (at any company, not just Amex) has a cost.  Amex knows this more than most.  The second your expected cost as a customer becomes more than your expected profit, they are going to cut you loose.  As Ramsey likes to say, sometimes you have to fire a customer.

Yeah it's not Burger King that's why I expected better customer service.  Why should'nt they enterain me I will be using the card I have good credit and was qualified the customer should always be treated like a King..Sometimes you have to be strong with the creditors just as they are on us....in general there are no initial limits set in stone when it comes to being approved so why not ask....

I was simply looking for a honest and humble answer which I received from the last rep...

Yes treading lightly has crossed my mind I am aware that even logging into your online account is tracked possibly...however a phone call like mine may work for me and not against me in the future; i.e. "this guy wanted a higher limit we should give him one" lol....

There are always two sides to every coin....however I appreciate your comment and heads up thank you.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.