Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex $6,000 reward cap on grocery store spending

tag
nmac
Regular Contributor

Amex $6,000 reward cap on grocery store spending

This might be common knowledge but it was news to me. I just got off the phone with amex and I was told that the $6,000 annual limit on 3 MR per dollar spend at grocery stores coincides with the calendar year and not the card anniversary.  Meaning that if you open a blue cash preferred or everyday preferred card you would have till the end of 2014 to benefit from the higher reward rate. Then come Janurary 1st it restarts. So it’s sort of like having a higher limit on grocery store earing the first year if you open the card now (half way through the year.) 

Quick Silver 2k - Discover 4.3K - Chase Freedom 7.6K - Venture 13K
Citi Double Cash 3.5K - Amex SPG 5K - CSP 5K - Arrival+ 3K
SW Premiere 5K - Citi TY Premiere 3.7K - FNBO Sun Country 3.6K
BOA Cash Rewards 5K - DCU Platinum 10K - Spirit 5K
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Amex $6,000 reward cap on grocery store spending

It's not quite calendar year either, but your general point about the first year holds.  The rule for the BCP at least is:

An annual reward year is 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one that includes January 1st; if your billing cycle changes, the length of your annual reward year will also change.
You will earn a reward of 6% on the first $6,000 of eligible purchases in an annual reward year at supermarkets located in the U.S. (superstores and warehouse clubs are not considered supermarkets;

Message 2 of 5
nmac
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

It's not quite calendar year either, but your general point about the first year holds.  The rule for the BCP at least is:

An annual reward year is 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one that includes January 1st; if your billing cycle changes, the length of your annual reward year will also change.
You will earn a reward of 6% on the first $6,000 of eligible purchases in an annual reward year at supermarkets located in the U.S. (superstores and warehouse clubs are not considered supermarkets;

Thanks, it's good to know the specifics. 

Quick Silver 2k - Discover 4.3K - Chase Freedom 7.6K - Venture 13K
Citi Double Cash 3.5K - Amex SPG 5K - CSP 5K - Arrival+ 3K
SW Premiere 5K - Citi TY Premiere 3.7K - FNBO Sun Country 3.6K
BOA Cash Rewards 5K - DCU Platinum 10K - Spirit 5K
Message 3 of 5
Bman70
Established Contributor

@nmac wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

So "beginning with the one that includes January 1st" could begin in December or January. 

So when I activate my BCP in June, I'll have 5 or 6 months to spend the cap for this calendar year.. so instead of $500/month I'll be able to spend $1000/month to get to the cap. Then in the Dec/Jan new cycle I'll start over at $500/month for next year. Just thinking out loud Smiley Happy 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 4 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

@nmac wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

So "beginning with the one that includes January 1st" could begin in December or January. 

So when I activate my BCP in June, I'll have 5 or 6 months to spend the cap for this calendar year.. so instead of $500/month I'll be able to spend $1000/month to get to the cap. Then in the Dec/Jan new cycle I'll start over at $500/month for next year. Just thinking out loud Smiley Happy 

Probabalistically, the cycle will begin Dec, only if your cycle is on the 1st of the month will the Jan cycle be the one.  But yes, you will have $6K to spend in 2014, and, unlike with Sallie Mae, you can spend it however you wish, all at once, or bit by bit.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.