Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 61-day CLI ?

tag
SanjeevR
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex 61-day CLI ?

@bichonmom wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I'm so paranoid after reading all of the FR threads here. Somehow I was never concerned about Barclay's AA because it seems like they are always preceeded by something. They don't come out of thin air, like Amex FRs seem to. I almost wonder if I should just let it sit.  I haven't been using it much anyway because the rewards are only redeemable once a year, and that's a long time to wait for the cash back.

Bichon, I would go for it. I think the whole Amex FR concept is blown way out of proportion! I've had my PRG/green cards for 7 months now.  I have done everything others have advised not to.

1) Some advise not push too much through a new card. I've pushed $8,000 - $10,000/month on my cards. The results? My internal limits are now at $50,000 for each card.

2) Many advise not to touch the dreaded "Check your spending ability" button. I've used it almost weekly since I've gotten my cards. That's what it's there for!

3) I've opened 4 new accounts since opening accounts with Amex - Macy's (now closed), Zales, Chase United/CSP

4) I've been app'ing monthly for Amex credit products. No success... until only a couple of days ago. Approved from BCP and Hilton Surpass cards. $20,000 limits on each.

IMHO, as long as a cardholder has nothing to hide, they have nothing to be afraid of. Of course, I can be mistaken, but I think FR are generally triggered for other reasons like:

1) Spending patterns that do not match income

2) Erratic spending patterns (If I put through $1,000 monthly and then all of a sudden put through a $50,000 charge)

3) Sudden changes in credit (new negatives, large increase in UTL, drop in EX Fico score)

4) New excessive amount of tradelines

5) Late payments

6) Questionable spending (aimed towards cheating rewards, like purchasing currency or paying yourself through Paypal)

Just my two cents. Good luck!

Starting scores: Around 630 (Sep 2011)
Current FICO scores: TU ‘08 792 (Walmart) • EQ 765 • EX 771 (Amex)
Prime cards: JP Morgan Select (30K) • HHonors Reserve (30K) • Chase United MileagePlus Explorer (20K) • Chase Sapphire Preferred (20K) • Amex Hilton Honors Surpass (20K) • Amex BCP (20K) • Barclay Ring (20K) • Citi Thank You Premier MC/Visa (16K Combined) • Discover Escape (10K) • Amex SPG (5K) • Amex Premier Rewards Gold • US Bank Cash+ (5K+???)
Message 11 of 14
halos24
Frequent Contributor

@SanjeevR wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I'm so paranoid after reading all of the FR threads here. Somehow I was never concerned about Barclay's AA because it seems like they are always preceeded by something. They don't come out of thin air, like Amex FRs seem to. I almost wonder if I should just let it sit.  I haven't been using it much anyway because the rewards are only redeemable once a year, and that's a long time to wait for the cash back.

Bichon, I would go for it. I think the whole Amex FR concept is blown way out of proportion! I've had my PRG/green cards for 7 months now.  I have done everything others have advised not to.

1) Some advise not push too much through a new card. I've pushed $8,000 - $10,000/month on my cards. The results? My internal limits are now at $50,000 for each card.

2) Many advise not to touch the dreaded "Check your spending ability" button. I've used it almost weekly since I've gotten my cards. That's what it's there for!

3) I've opened 4 new accounts since opening accounts with Amex - Macy's (now closed), Zales, Chase United/CSP

4) I've been app'ing monthly for Amex credit products. No success... until only a couple of days ago. Approved from BCP and Hilton Surpass cards. $20,000 limits on each.

IMHO, as long as a cardholder has nothing to hide, they have nothing to be afraid of. Of course, I can be mistaken, but I think FR are generally triggered for other reasons like:

1) Spending patterns that do not match income

2) Erratic spending patterns (If I put through $1,000 monthly and then all of a sudden put through a $50,000 charge)

3) Sudden changes in credit (new negatives, large increase in UTL, drop in EX Fico score)

4) New excessive amount of tradelines

5) Late payments

6) Questionable spending (aimed towards cheating rewards, like purchasing currency or paying yourself through Paypal)

Just my two cents. Good luck!

+1, if you have nothing to hide what is the  BIG DEALSmiley Very Happy!!!! I am always pushing the button on HOW MUCH I CAN SPEND... and guess what no problems!  I have also asked for a CLI on my AMEX TU Costco and have not been approved (high util), and guess did it without fear of getting that "dreadful F".   The threads you find serve a purpose, but quite frankly I would not stress over it.

MyFico 3B Scores: EQ: 3/22/16 (727), EX (710) TU (714)

Message 12 of 14
FrugalRican
Blogger

If AMEX FR's me, that's just an open invitation to use my Chase Freedom more instead.

Feeling lucky, punks?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 13 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

If AMEX FR's me, that's just an open invitation to use my Chase Freedom more instead.

Feeling lucky, punks?

Likewise, while I find my Amex relationship incredibly valuable and beneficial, I'm awfully glad I started doing business with Chase.  I've never used Chase before, but have started to realize the value of their products and exemplary customer service.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.