Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex APR Reduction Success, twice

tag
smc733
Valued Contributor

Amex APR Reduction Success, twice

Hi all,

So my Amex Blue Cash Everyday opened with a 22.24% APR in September of 2011, on a promotional 0% rate until March of this year.  However, I was not satisfied with that rate, so in late December/early January I called the executive office, where they lowered the rate to 19.24%, or by "3" percent.  As a FICO nerd, this morning I was bored and called again, and once again, they lowered it by 3 percent, to 16.24%...  (which is 1% lower than they offer new BCE accounts, at 17.24)

Now, what I'm wondering is, I would be very happy to have this rate match my Sapphire (I plan to pair the two up for my day to day spending), which is at 15.24%, what is the lowest they offer on most of their new cards (the Cash, Sky and Clear cards are the notable exception starting at 17.24%).  I am wondering if I call back again in March if I would have success to lower the APR to 15.24%.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Amex APR Reduction Success, twice

Nice !

My BCE is at 21.99% . I got it in December last and still at 0% until June. I might do that just before my promo ends. My lowest right now is my Chase Freedom at 17.99

Message 2 of 33
smc733
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

Nice !

My BCE is at 21.99% . I got it in December last and still at 0% until June. I might do that just before my promo ends. My lowest right now is my Chase Freedom at 17.99

Ouch!  What other cards do you have?

I went on an APR redux spree and got

BofA is stuck 10.99 (tried for 9.99, got a no)

Citi 14.24>12.24

Discover 15.99>12.99

Chase (opened Sapphire at 15.24)

Amex 22.24>19.24>16.24

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 3 of 33
nomoore
Contributor

It always bugs me that the APR on my BCP is so high. I always have to tell myself that I PIF every month anyway so it doesn't matter. Besides that, I don't think they would ever lower it enough to satisfy me. There are other cards out there that are designed to be low APR and my BCP isn't one of them.

Open Credit Cards:   Target Visa/5900CL    |    AMEX BCP/6000CL
Latest Credit Scores:   780 TU (2011-08-01)
Credit Score History:   708 EQ (2011-07-01)    |    682 TU (2011-06-30)    |    693 EQ (2010-05-21)
Message 4 of 33
smc733
Valued Contributor

@nomoore wrote:

It always bugs me that the APR on my BCP is so high. I always have to tell myself that I PIF every month anyway so it doesn't matter. Besides that, I don't think they would ever lower it enough to satisfy me. There are other cards out there that are designed to be low APR and my BCP isn't one of them.

People told me that all the time when I had a Freedom that was stuck at 22.99.  I was simply not comfortable with that mindset, becuase if things happen (which they do), that rate could be the difference between getting out of trouble or not.  I closed that account for a much more reasonably priced Sapphire at 15.24.

Message 5 of 33
credithappy
Regular Contributor

Congrulations on your reduct of your the intersest rate regarding your Amex CC.  

Amex Green - Amex BCP - Amex Everyday Card - Amex Rose Gold - Elan Visa - Xcel FCU Visa - Walmart MC - Sam's MC - Macy's - Bloomingdales - Nordstrom - Sam's Club CC - Discover IT and US Bank Visa FlexPerks - AMEX HHonors - NAVcheck - NAVcashRewards Sig Visa, NAVgoRewards MC, Chase Amazon VISA, BoA CashRewards VISA - Chase Marriott Reward Premier CC, Jetblue Card MC, PenFed Power CR Visa Signature Card, Chase Freedom, Nordy VISA and BBVA
Message 6 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for sharing!! This got me thinking about my high-ish APRs and I decided to call in and see what they could do. The Amex CSR I spoke to said it is based partly on payment history and since I never carry a balance she offered 3% off both my cards.

Blue Cash Everyday 19.24 to 16.24%

Starwood Preferred Guest 15.24 to 12.24%

Crazy thing is I just got the Starwood and the first billing cycle has not even closed yet Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, now you both got me wanting to do it on my BCE!  I got the highest at 22.24%, despite an EX Fico of 740's... I attribute it to it being my first AMEX.  But seeing as how I got a CLI and it's been my primary card since I got it, hopefully the ativity is enough to get them to lower it, too.

But, I DID get 1 year of 0% Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, now you both got me wanting to do it on my BCE!  I got the highest at 22.24%, despite an EX Fico of 740's... I attribute it to it being my first AMEX.  But seeing as how I got a CLI and it's been my primary card since I got it, hopefully the ativity is enough to get them to lower it, too.

But, I DID get 1 year of 0% Smiley Very Happy

I agree, they started me rather high on the BCE too since it was my first card with them. I think once they get a feel for how you handle your account they are willing to go down, even below the lowest APR offered on their website.

Message 9 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

what the heck called in for my chase freedom too. no go buts its a relatively new account Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.