Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex AU Question

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Amex AU Question

I added my Daughter as AU on my Amex Cards to increase the AAoA. If I remove her as AU on my cards, will she still be able to keep the reporting on the credit report or will they remove the cards from her credit report?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
annalog

Re: Amex AU Question

It should stay with her for 10 years.

TW=825, CB=819, TU=946
Message 2 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@annalog wrote:

It should stay with her for 10 years.

This might be true because it's an Amex and Amex seems to do many things differently but in general just as an AU instantly inherits the entire history of an account they are added to they will just as quickly lose that credit history when they are removed as an AU. It will be just like the account was never on their reports.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Amex has a bad habit of not stopping the reporting on AU credit even after being removed... If you want them off report, you would probably have to dispute to CR.

Message 4 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

Amex has a bad habit of not stopping the reporting on AU credit even after being removed... If you want them off report, you would probably have to dispute to CR.

I think I've seen other posters mention the same thing. Amex does seem to march to a different beat.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I have 6 or 7 Amex cards report to my credit... some are duplicate some I'm not on anymore and even 1 that I think is closed... still reports open and good standing every month on all of them!

Message 6 of 12
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

So, if we remove AU and add it back again after few months, will it show as the second card a new reporting?

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even if it doesn't directly show up on your daughters reports, this can still be valuable. I was an AU on my fathers Amex cards long before I was old enough to get one of my own. The history from my father's accounts never showed up on my credit report.  However, when I obtained my first personal Amex card I was given a 'member since' date matching that on my fathers account, adding nearly a decade of account historySmiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

I have 6 or 7 Amex cards report to my credit... some are duplicate some I'm not on anymore and even 1 that I think is closed... still reports open and good standing every month on all of them!

That's a Huge PLUS!!

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anyone tell me if  having my sister add me as au on her amex of over 25 years help my aaoa as well as obtain an amex of my own in about 6 months? 

My aaoa is about 3.5 now, but when my last closed account drops off next year it will go down to about 2 years.  I really want an Amex but my scores are still a bit shy of 700 with two paid collections of about 4 years ago and I am not risking the denial.  The paid collections will fall off next year and that is when I plan to apply for the amex.  Should I just not do anything at this time or ask that she add me to as an au to help with the aaoa?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.