Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex AU Question

tag
ofiligrana
Valued Member

Amex AU Question

I was wondering if my brother has a Amex Zync Card and wanted to add me as an AU can this be denied? They told him a week ago that they would let him know a decision in 7-10 days yet no reply or card for me. He said they told him same thing when he added his wife wait 7-10 days and then the card just arrived but I thinkk it is taking longer for me to recieve mine. Anyone know someone who has tried or has tried to add someone as AU by Amex and be denied?

Starting Score: 586TU 595EQ 580EX

Goal Score: 700TU 700EQ 720EX

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
alph4
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex AU Question

I added my wife as an AU on my Blue Cash card. I added her online though. There's an option to just add a name in there and the card arrived soon after.

I would think they would just automatically send one. I'm not sure as to whether that decision might be affected if you had previously had an unpaid debt with AmEx (collection, BK etc.) Others might know more.

Current Cards:
American Express Blue Cash Preferred - March 2007 - CL $10,000
Citi Forward Visa Signature - September 2009 - CL $6,500
Chase Freedom - March 2011 - CL $15,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - May 2013 - CL $12,500
Discover It - November 2013 - $5,000
Barclay Arrival - January 2014 - $10,000
Message 2 of 9
ofiligrana
Valued Member

I only have one baddie from 4 years ago that I am fighting as we speak is all and way too many inqs(which my addiction is now under control for the next 12-18 months). I have had some lates that only show on TU but I believe Amex is EX pull anyways and don't believe Amex pulls on AU anyways.

Message 3 of 9
mross1080
Established Contributor

I think they just do a check to make sure your not on there blacklist. I dont think your credit report has anything to do with you being an AU. I added my mother and she didnt have a report at all and it went through.

Message 4 of 9
ofiligrana
Valued Member

Nevermind I am getting my Amex Card in 7 days my brother just let me know today since he called and report his lost. I have yet to understand how a Amex card works though I just that most are pay balance off in full. Don't understand how credit limit works. Anyone who can help me out please. Thank you

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats and your new AU AMEX card will help you get your own AMEX when you're ready.  Yes the ZYNC will need to be paid in full each month. There is an internal limit that you can 'test" on your account.  I don't suggest using it though just to use it.  If you have a major purchase and want to know if it would go through is one thing, but I don't see AMEX liking if you keep checking it.  IMO that is a red flag. 

Message 6 of 9
ofiligrana
Valued Member

Thank you,  yeah I hope to get one in a year once all my inqs fall off, I thnk my brother said he had no limit but you never know not like it would be a good idea to overspend anyways.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't even think you'd have much problems in 6 months as long as your CR is relatively clean.  Inquiries are a small issue as I had more than 10 when I got my Zync.  I was rate shopping.  There is a pre-approval part on the AMEX website.  Keep the card in good standing for 6 months and I bet you'd be okay if the baddies get deleted.  If you get your score around 680 I say go for it. The AU relationship can only help.

Message 8 of 9
ofiligrana
Valued Member

How long before this post to the CRA and which ones report AU? Since there is no limit i dno't think it will help my utiliazation rate any so basically this will just help me raise my score month to month from PIF? I don't know much about Amex so any help would be appreciated. How much of any increase if any would I see on my reports just by beind added as AU.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.