Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex AU..

tag
silly34
Regular Contributor

Amex AU..

Should I be taken off of my wifes Amex card as an authorized user?  It is pretty much max'd since they CLD.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex AU..

Depends.

Will it be getting paid off/down soon?

Are you getting ready or in the market for new credit/loans?

If it will be paid down soon, then you need to decide if you want to continue to have use and AU TL down the road. 

However, if it is going to take some time to pay down to reasonable utilization percentage, you may want to consider having AMEX remove you (not disputing) in order to avoid possible AA by other creditors who may see your maxed AU account TL.

But you really didn't provide enough info to be very detailed.  We don't know what your CR or FICO look like, how many TL's you have, dates, balances, CL's etc.

Message 2 of 6
silly34
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Depends.

Will it be getting paid off/down soon?

Not immediately..

Are you getting ready or in the market for new credit/loans?

Yes..end of this year/beginning of next.. Auto loan with my credit union..

If it will be paid down soon, then you need to decide if you want to continue to have use and AU TL down the road. 

AU still counts torwards score? 

However, if it is going to take some time to pay down to reasonable utilization percentage, you may want to consider having AMEX remove you (not disputing) in order to avoid possible AA by other creditors who may see your maxed AU account TL.

But you really didn't provide enough info to be very detailed.  We don't know what your CR or FICO look like, how many TL's you have, dates, balances, CL's etc.

Didn't think it was pertinent, my scores are just bumping 700(paid off 2 of my credit cards that were max'd, waiting for score change)

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The AU can help your CR and FICO with:

Age of account (possibly oldest reported on CR)

Its averaging effect on AAoA

If it is low utilization then it's CL helps your total balances to CL's percentage

In your case, the balances/utilization is hurting.  But the age of account and AAoA might be helping, depends on its open date compared to your other cards/accounts.

Message Edited by txjohn on 04-30-2009 08:00 AM
Message 4 of 6
silly34
Regular Contributor

Yeah, didn't think about the aging...it isn't that old of a card (2-3 years).  Maybe I can find a way to bring the util down.  We had a good credit limit then they dropped it, just waiting for them to drop it again or close the account.

Message 5 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'd say it's hurting you a bunch more than it's helping.

That being said, trying to get an AmEx AU card to stop reporting can be a real battle. DH's and DD#2's AU's card is still reporting, 8+ months after being removed. On top of that, the card had fraudulent activity, and I replaced it, and now both closed cards are reporting for both of them, lowering their AAoA.

It has a $0 balance, and it's clean, but I still think that by being younger than both their AAoA's, it's hurting them. AmEx wants an Experian report number to fix it, which means that they want me to pay $15 each for full reports for them to fix their sloppy reporting. Smiley Tongue I'm considering disputing through the CRA's as "not mine", potentially dangerous as that might be.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.