Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Account Review?

tag
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Account Review?

American Express and Chase were doing the same thing to me last year. As soon as a hard on Experian was recored, a soft would be done by them. After about the fourth or fifth one, they stopped checking. Other lenders may do the same thing with newly approved accounts. It's probably to make sure you aren't maxed out on every card and applying for more credit.

Message 11 of 32
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I guess what freaked me out was that when Amex sp'd me before I got cards with them, it just said Amex. Now all of a sudden on the same day I app'd for another card, it said Account Review. I love my Amex's but am terrified of them because of all the stuff I read here. I have nothing to hide, I just don't want any trouble! Cat Wink

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 12 of 32
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Quit worrying you will be fine Smiley Happy
congrats on the new card Smiley Happy
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 13 of 32
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:

I guess what freaked me out was that when Amex sp'd me before I got cards with them, it just said Amex. Now all of a sudden on the same day I app'd for another card, it said Account Review. I love my Amex's but am terrified of them because of all the stuff I read here. I have nothing to hide, I just don't want any trouble! Cat Wink

Well they couldn't have been doing an account review before you had an account. Living in fear of a lender is no way to be. You should apply for a card if you want and not be terrified that American Express will close the account. As long as you aren't accumulating more and more debt, you have nothing to be concerned about.

Message 14 of 32
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:

Also, when I googled "Amex account review", I saw where someone posted in another forum that Amex is contacted with each hp on your credit....is that true??

Not sure how this could possibly be true, since there would be a number of issues involved. 

First would be privacy issues, seems like consumers would have to be aware that this is standard practise. Seems like something within FCRA would prevent this.

Second, logistically it would be a staggering feat for them to pull this off -- AMEX is big, but they ain't THAT big!  Think of the gazillions of inquiries that are made yearly on all credit cards issued by every possible bank.  AMEX could not possibly keep track of, and more importantly, analyse the results. 

Third, it would be reasonable to assume that, as competitors, another card issuer is not going to give AMEX that info.  And as a privacy issue, it's highly doubtful that the CRAs  would give up that info to AMEX either.  Doubtful also that Fair Isaac would give it up to just one issuer and not everyone. 

Sounds to me like an urban legend!

Message 15 of 32
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@snowkitty wrote:

Well they couldn't have been doing an account review before you had an account. Living in fear of a lender is no way to be. You should apply for a card if you want and not be terrified that American Express will close the account. As long as you aren't accumulating more and more debt, you have nothing to be concerned about.

It was them soft pulling me to send preapprovals. Both times they sp'd me, I would get an offer in the mail shortly after. I do worry about Amex because of the stuff I read here but I also am so happy about all the progress I have made over the past year that I sometimes feel like the rug is going to get pulled out from under me. I guess it's something time will heal. *lol* Plus, today is one of those days that everything that can go wrong, has so I am already unhinged....so the words "Account Review" sure didn't help.

My ulility is only 8% so I'm not charging anything out of the norm to spook any lenders

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 16 of 32
calihlove75
Established Contributor

Its completely normal for Amex to soften new accounts. I am pretty sure they have a subscription to be notified of changes anyway. Even if they did a FR, just show them what they want. Piece of cake.

If you are that concerned about AA with current creditors and opening new accounts, just stop applying for a while.

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 17 of 32
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I won't be opening anymore cards....there is no more than I want. The mastercard yesterday was my cherry on top....I finally feel complete

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 18 of 32
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Too much of a coincidence, OP. I had an AR from amex, the next day, following my latest app to sterling. They know when you get pulled!
Message 19 of 32
toppers555
Established Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

@snowkitty wrote:

Also, when I googled "Amex account review", I saw where someone posted in another forum that Amex is contacted with each hp on your credit....is that true??

Not sure how this could possibly be true, since there would be a number of issues involved. 

First would be privacy issues, seems like consumers would have to be aware that this is standard practise. Seems like something within FCRA would prevent this.

Second, logistically it would be a staggering feat for them to pull this off -- AMEX is big, but they ain't THAT big!  Think of the gazillions of inquiries that are made yearly on all credit cards issued by every possible bank.  AMEX could not possibly keep track of, and more importantly, analyse the results. 

Third, it would be reasonable to assume that, as competitors, another card issuer is not going to give AMEX that info.  And as a privacy issue, it's highly doubtful that the CRAs  would give up that info to AMEX either.  Doubtful also that Fair Isaac would give it up to just one issuer and not everyone. 

Sounds to me like an urban legend!

Not that hard tbh  Advanced Resolution Services is an example. 

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.