Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Additional Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Additional Cards

Is there a way to get a card for my significant other w out adding her as an AU ? The Amex accounts are new and I dont want to add it and ding her scores.

I have my full name on one card and my initials on another by adding additional cards and changing name to display- would that work to put her name on?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Additional Cards

I'm so lost here so help me pls Lol

By adding her as AU how will that hurt her scores? 

Unless you mean it will hurt her AAoA?

The only way to legally get her a card would be via AU that I can think of 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only way to get another card for her if you are not willing to add her as AU is to apply.  Changing names on a card from one person to another person with the intention of getting the account transfered to the other person's name won't work. Simply put, it does not work that way.

The only viable option is to add her as AU or have her apply for her own cards.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

I'm so lost here so help me pls Lol

By adding her as AU how will that hurt her scores? 

Unless you mean it will hurt her AAoA?

The only way to legally get her a card would be via AU that I can think of 

ya dont want to drop her AAoA. She intends to app for CSP and Venture in the next two-three months. She can wait till after to app for her own or add her on mine.

Grocery stores, gas stations and most retailers dont even check ID anyway, she's been taking mine to the grocery store for the cash back for the past few months.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

well you can't get one issued in her name because no financial company i know of will just willy nilly change card names and issue new cards. if they cards you have are signed then, according to disclosures on visa, amex, and mastercard, you don't have to provide ID and they aren't supposed to deny the sale for that reason alone.

ps - didn't mention discover because i haven't read their disclosures on it
Message 5 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I'll also add that of all the issuer's, Amex, in particular, is very funny about their cards being non-transferable. 

Years ago I ran into this with them a couple of times when I wanted one of my parents to use my card for a transaction that ended up requiring verification; the Amex rep told me I either had to be present at the store, or have my parent added to my account as an AU (which at that time carried a fee).  I've also had a relative have problems specifically with Amex when attempting to use her husband's card... the circumstances were the same as my own; for some reason the sale required the merchant to call for an authorization, and once the CSR found out it was my aunt instead of her husband making the sale, she was advised only her husband could use the account.

I'm not saying the OP would have these specific issues, I'm just adding a data point.  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
well you can't get one issued in her name because no financial company i know of will just willy nilly change card names and issue new cards. if they cards you have are signed then, according to disclosures on visa, amex, and mastercard, you don't have to provide ID and they aren't supposed to deny the sale for that reason alone.

So if I signed my name on back of my card and someone found my card and sign my name like on back its fine? I don't care if it's sign if I'm a merchant and I ask for ID and customer doesn't have it I wouldn't accept card as payment without ID

Message 7 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So if I signed my name on back of my card and someone found my card and sign my name like on back its fine? I don't care if it's sign if I'm a merchant and I ask for ID and customer doesn't have it I wouldn't accept card as payment without ID

There are numerous threads here with discussions on if you should/should not sign the back of a credit card, or if a merchant should/should not be checking ID for credit card purchases.  Those discussions usually end up rehashing the exact same thing with folks leaving irritated and with their original opinion intact - it's the myFICO equivalent to discussing religion or politics (which are against the TOS) - perhaps discussing signed/not signed and always ID/never ID should be against the TOS as well.  (LOL)

That being said, out of courtesy for the OP I wouldn't "go there" on this thread.  (Note:  TERROR is right, going 'by the book' the merchant isn't supposed to ask for an ID or deny a sale due to lack of an ID, but that's not always how it always works in the real world.)

Back to the OP's topic... the OP's inquiry was on if there was a way to get somebody a card for an account without making that person an AU.  So far, everybody is in basic agreement that it's not possible - or at least we're not familiar with a way.  Specifically with Amex it's not a good idea to try to 'work around' the rule anyway, since if a clerk ever needs to call for an auth, the auth center is actually the bank itself, and they usually will require the cardmember to be physically present with the card (at least in my past experience).

Message 8 of 10
elim
Senior Contributor

Samsung Pay?

My GF uses my cards on occasion without a problem when It's a big reward purchase.

"American Express U.S. consumer or small business credit or charge cards

Certain American Express Corporate Cards

Please refer to the Customer Service number on the back of your card for additional information for specific card support."

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

Samsung Pay?

My GF uses my cards on occasion without a problem when It's a big reward purchase.

"American Express U.S. consumer or small business credit or charge cards

Certain American Express Corporate Cards

Please refer to the Customer Service number on the back of your card for additional information for specific card support."

I wonder if Apple can do the same. Is it popular for merchants to have the tech available to use? Almost every store I go to since last october has their chip readers installed but dont work yet lol.

Thanks for the idea!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.