Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Advice

tag
rock_lobster
Valued Member

Amex Advice

For some reason I am really wanting to get an Amex.  Would like revolver, but will start with charge card if I have to.  Scores are in my siggy. Currently in the garden for about 15 months.  No inquires.

Negs

GE/Sams- 3-30 day lates (5/09, 4/09, 7/08)

Kay Jeweler-Paid collection (12/08)

COAF-3-30 day lates (1/12, 12/11, 11/11) paid off car

Real Baddie-Mortgage- tons of lates...but have been current since 5/13

Goods

2 Cap one cards 2000 on both cl never missed (one since 2007 one since 2010) About $1000 balance on each.  Working on paying these off.

BBRZ-300 CL never missed (2007) 0 balance

COAF 2006 paid off car, never missed.  (Different than the account above)

BBVA Compass 2nd Mtg- Never missed (open since 1997 About 2500 balance will be paid off 8/14)

GE Rooms to Go-3000 cl 0 balance

maybe a couple of other older accounts

Income is about $140k No other debt beside Mortgage(s) and Credit cards.

Just looking for advice on the Amex idea.  Should I try an app or stay in the garden and pay down the Cap1's?

thanks

Starting Score: 595
Current Score: EX 690 TU 682 EQ 661 Walmart Fico 684
Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Amex Advice

Stay in the garden. While you are there, write tons of GW letters to your baddies. You need some distance between apping and your last derog in Apr2013. If you had 1 or 2 baddies, that could be overlooked. Essentially your baddies started in 2008 and stopped 6 mos ago.

Of course, this is my opinion and others may chime in with options.
Message 2 of 30
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Stay in the garden. While you are there, write tons of GW letters to your baddies. You need some distance between apping and your last derog in Apr2013. If you had 1 or 2 baddies, that could be overlooked. Essentially your baddies started in 2008 and stopped 6 mos ago.

Of course, this is my opinion and others may chime in with options.

i agree you may want to try and gw some of those derogs. I have one c/o from 2007, and they still triple pulled me. That was the only bad thing on my cr, if i were in your shoes i would try and garden for maybe 6-9 months, and see if you could get some of those derogs off your cr

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 30
rock_lobster
Valued Member

Thanks for the advice...I need a good address for GE-Sam's anyone have one?

Starting Score: 595
Current Score: EX 690 TU 682 EQ 661 Walmart Fico 684
Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 30
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

+1 to Lexie's advice.  You can also work on reducing utilization on your CO cards in the meantime.

Message 5 of 30
Iorek
Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

+1 to Lexie's advice.  You can also work on reducing utilization on your CO cards in the meantime.

+1

Having two accounts with 50% util won't look all that great.

Amex BCE ($15k), TE ($5k), BoA BBR ($600), Cash Rewards ($600), Barclays Sallie Mae ($6k), CapOne Quicksilver ($4k), Chase Freedom ($5.8k), CSP ($11k), Marriott (9k), IHG (12k), DCU ($6k), Discover IT ($6.5k)
TU - 4 INQ, EX - 7 INQ, EQ - 3 INQ
Gardening since 06/25/14.
Message 6 of 30
12njoy
Super Contributor

+2. I can tell you from my experience with Amex.  Once you're in your in.  I got my first Amex (Blue Cash Everyday) July 10, 2013 and then signed up for their offers and they offered Premier Rewards Gold Card and I app'd for that on July 17, 2013.  I was approved.  Strangely my Blue Cash was set at $2,200 but when I called about the NPSL on the Gold Card I was told that I could charge up to $10,000 right out the gate.  I then app'd for Blue Cash Preferred on 8/26/13 and then the Hilton HHonors on 9/28/13.  Approved for both of those to.  Amex has been really great to deal with.  I'm top heavy with Amex cards and want to diversify in the future.  I'm off to the garden for the next six months.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby (1.6M)/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 7 of 30
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

You might want to post your question in Rebuilding for GEs address.
Message 8 of 30
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, I'm an idiot.. didn't realize that you could have a BCE and a BCP... I would have apped for that a while back instead of one of the cards I just recently got. oh well!

GL OP! #gardenstrong and #paythatdebtdown Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 30
12njoy
Super Contributor

@Kenny,

It was a process, trust me.  I app'd for the BCE on 7/10/13 and then the PRG like a week later.  Then I app'd for BCP on 8/1/13.  BCP application was immediately cancelled so I called recon office.  They said I could change app to another card, so I got the Delta Gold Skymiles.  Now, I was an idiot because they kept telling me that I had to wait 30 days in between applications.  I got to thinking 7/10/13, 7/24/13, 8/1/13.  I said that didn't make any sense, so I app'd for the BCP again in the middle of 8/11/13.  The app was cancelled so I reconned again.  Recon sent it to executive office for manual review.  Application cancelled again.  I called Executive Office and spoke with a nice English chap.  I explained this whole proces to him and said that I never wanted the Delta Gold Skymiles but did so at the advice of Amex since I was told that I couldn't get the BCP since I had the BCE.  He said give him a couple of days.  He called me back and said the answer was still no.  I offered to close the Delta Gold Skymiles for the BCP.  Finally, on 8/26/13 I was approved for the BCP with more of a credit line that I had on Delta Gold Skymiles.  Of course, the Delta Gold Skymiles was closed first and then the BCP opened.  So I say it's possible because I did it with persistence.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby (1.6M)/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.