cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Airline Credit. How to use the rest of it.

tag
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Amex Airline Credit. How to use the rest of it.

Hello,

I hope this topic is allowed. If its not I sincerly apologize and will remove the post.

I have the Amex PRG card and would like the use the airline credit I have for the year. Help offset the AF cost. I haven't selected an airline yet.

I will be flying  Jet blue and American Airlines in December. Whats the best way to go about using the credit. I will only have one checked bag So I will put the $25 checked bag for one airline on there. What about the other $75  ? Is there a way to use the credit for a seat upgrade ? Giftcard for a future flight ? Any other nice things I could use it for ?

Thanks

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Airline Credit. How to use the rest of it.

I have Southwest listed on my PRG for early bird check in fee and plane booze. Though lucky/unlucky when I bought a $70 Southwest ticket it triggered the credit and ate the rest of my remaining credit. I'd go with the gift card or try to buy early boarding.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 2 of 34
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I don’t really fly southwest and if I do. Free checked baggage.

As far as gift cards go ? Do American gift cards work ? Jet blue doesn’t offer them.
Can I buy a AA gift card on the plane ? Or should I just buy it online the day I fly ?

Message 3 of 34
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

AA gift cards are expressly excluded from the airline credit and therefore won't work.  That said, Amex seems to reimburse gift cards purchased on their website as long as you have no New Jersey address or phone information in either your AA or Amex account (I have no idea why that is).

Message 4 of 34
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

You don't have to buy it online the day you fly. But it's better to test a small amount to see if it even goes through.

With AA to use your credit you could

-buy early boarding

-plane drinks/snacks

-bag fee

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 5 of 34
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

The smallest amount you can buy is $50. since I will only have $75 of my credit left after the baggage fee. Wouldnt it just be better to buy the $75 since I wont be able to use the other 25 then ?

Message 6 of 34
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

Worst case is that you end up having to pay $75 if the credit doesn't kick in. My SW ticket was 70 and that one did it so maybe there's a chance for you.

Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just buy a $75 gift card on AA.com and it'll get reimbursed, I bought mine a few weeks ago.

https://giftcards.aa.com

Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I flew AA to Europe in September I used the credit toward seat upgrades on there. The fees were credited pretty quickly Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 34
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I just ordered a $75 gift card through the AA site. The charge lists Airline-Travel as the category so I’m hoping I get the credit. I waited 3 hours after selecting American Airlines.

How soon will I get the credit ? Normally Amex credits my account super fast. The statement credit for my delta card came 3 days after I made my first delta purchase and the Amex targeted offer for $10 back on Wireless phone bills was about the same time. Will update when I receive the credit.

Thanks everyone

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.