cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Airline Credit. How to use the rest of it.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Airline Credit. How to use the rest of it.

The transaction for my AA gift cards were posted on the 20th of last month. Amex reimbursed me on the 22nd
Message 11 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about a $25 remaining benefit? I have $25 left on my Business Plat Card, which is set to Delta for 2017. If I buy a $50 card, will that trigger the $25 credit? I have never done a partial before.... 

Message 12 of 34
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

According to amex’s Own terms. Yes it will.
But that’s only if they give you credit for the gift card purchase.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 13 of 34
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I have my PRG set to Delta and I did two $50 cards back in the spring and both were credited within a few days. 

It's always YMMV, though, and if they ever 'fix' the loophole you can't call about it since it's not supposed to work, anyway.

Message 14 of 34
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Shadowfactor wrote:
According to amex’s Own terms. Yes it will.
But that’s only if they give you credit for the gift card purchase.

This exactly. I had partial credit for a large-ish beverage order (Smiley Embarassed) issued by Amex for Southwest.

The Platinum Card from American Express: Just try to walk off of your next Southwest flight without assistance.

Message 15 of 34
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

Yes on the partial credits working. I had $50 remaining when I bought a $70 SW ticket and the credit took off 50 and I had to pay the remaining balance. I came out even because I ended up buying 2 early bird check ins and 4 drinks.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 16 of 34
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I told everyone I would update this thread after I attempted to do the airline credit.

I made the charge for $75 on a AA gift card. Received credit 2 days after charge posted.
Also saw the little meter in the airline benefits section drop the day the charge posted.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 17 of 34
ohjoy
Frequent Contributor

This was my post a couple weeks ago. I have PRG and Plat and wanted to extract the airline credits. I purchased AA giftcards in $100 increments and was reimbursed in about 2 days for all. Anything over $100 will NOT be reimbursed. So, I have $300. Will be doing the same in January.

Starting Score (May 2017): 584 TU
Current Scores: 752 TU, 717 EQ, 750 EX

Goal Score: 820+

Message 18 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

A little late to the party here, but I also just got the PRG last week and have been trying to figure out how to spend the airline credit as well.

I set my airline to American, and figured I’d just buy the gift certificates from the link in this thread but just wanted to check if;

1: It matters whether you buy the plastic or the digital cards (I wouldn’t think it would, but you never know)?

2: If you can buy a $100 dollar card, or if you should buy two $50 cards?

I’ve seen a few conflicting testimonies, so any additional input and personal experiences would be most appreciated.
Message 19 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Bostonwrote:

AA gift cards are expressly excluded from the airline credit and therefore won't work.  That said, Amex seems to reimburse gift cards purchased on their website as long as you have no New Jersey address or phone information in either your AA or Amex account (I have no idea why that is).

I believe the program is based in New Jersey so that may play a part in things.

Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.