Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Already Softing Me!!

tag
Uncle_Money
Established Contributor

Amex Already Softing Me!!

Hey Gang,

Well, what I've read here about this certainly holds truth...Let me explain.

Last month I applied and was approved for both the American Express Green Rewards personal card and the Plum card for business, both of which I'm enjoying by the way. I especially love the Plum Card and people definitely give it a second glance.

Tonight, I decided to check my soft pulls and sure enough, there was Amex on September 9th lol. Not that I care, because I manage my finances very well, but how often should I expect to see this and what exactly are they looking for? I never had a lender do a soft pull so quickly. We're talking about less than the first month I received the cards!

CALLING ALL AMEX GURUS:

Plum offers the pay in full or defer payment option. If I choose to defer payment here and there, will they take this as a sign of financial trouble or it doesn't matter? Should I not take advantage of this option?

If it matters any, I've already pushed $6,000+ through.

- Uncle Money

Message Edited by Uncle_Money on 09-16-2008 09:06 PM

Personal: American Express Platinum - NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Preferred - $15,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve - $38,500 | Chase Amazon Prime Visa - $7,200 | Chase Freedom - $500 | Barclaycard Arrival+ - $18,600 | PenFed Platinum Rewards - $25,000 | PenFed LOC - $10,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa - $25,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union LOC - $10,000 | Citi Double Cash - $12,170 | Citizens Cash Back+ - $8,650 | Citizens LOC Overdraft - $8,000 | Discover - $10,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $3,600 | Capital One Platinum - $750 | Valero - $600 | Dell - $3,000 | Lowes Advantage - $30,000 | Macys Amex - $25,000 | The Home Depot - $7,500 | Tourneau - $15,000
Business: American Express Business Platinum Card - NPSL | American Express Plum Card - NPSL | American Express SimplyCash Plus - $10,000 | American Express Gold Card - NPSL | Bank of America Cash Rewards - $100,000 | Capital One Spark Business - $54,000 | Chase Business Preferred - $34,000 | Chase Business Ink - $15,000 | PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $19,000 | PNC LOC $100,000 | BP Business Solutions - $1,500 | KeyBank Mastercard - $6,000 | Staples More Account - $3,500

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Amex Already Softing Me!!

No personal experience with the Plum (sigh), but I would say don't touch that option for at least 6 months or a year, which would be even better. Or at least this is true for personal cards.

They have a weird way of dangling offers at you, and then slamming you if you take them up on it a bit early. *This might be different for business cards, though; see below.*

As for the softs, they checked me every month for the first three months, and then they backed off a bit. I'm awfully small beer with them --maybe $600/ month on average, and that's including the Verizon bill, so I don't think that I'm much of a blip on their radar screens. Smiley Wink

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 09-17-2008 03:33 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

well unlike with the deger option on a regular personal charge that will throw red flag I don't think defer on the plum is bad, becuase you are paying a % of your total purchases and then the remainder 30 days later. so your not really carrying a balance month to month.
and softing probably 1 a month at first.
Message 3 of 6
ficonovice
Frequent Contributor

What service allows you to see what creditors are pulling soft inquiries? I use true credit and love it though I know the scores themselves are basically useless. I find it very helpful to pull my reports every week or so and I focus on the details, not the scores.

To my knowledge, I can't view who has pulled soft inquiries through the tc site. I also have score watch and don't get the info there.

Thanks!
Rust never sleeps and neither does my fico score...
Message 4 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

When  you get credit reports directly from ex, tu, eq you can see soft inq or promotional purposes inq.
Message 5 of 6
Miner
Frequent Contributor

hah!  I'm not even an AMEX member and they have been soft pulling me every month since January.  I guess that explains the numerous per-approval offer letters for their various cards.  If they stick to schedule, they should be pulling me again next week.
Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.