Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex AoA question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex AoA question

I have a Blue Cash with decent AoA.  I just got a Starwood since I couldn't PC (Blue Cash has gone down for me since I don't use it as the go-to and get to the $6500 tier anymore).  I burned an inquiry for it and that is fine.  My question is regarding AoA.  If I kept both open, will my Starwood ding my FICO on AAoA for the new account?   How about if I closed the Blue Cash and transferred the CL to Starwood, would it report the AoA as the age of my Blue Cash since I've been an Amex customer since say 2002?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
alph4
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex AoA question

You should be able to keep the Blue Cash open and open the new card. Then have AmEx backdate the new card. I've heard it's possible.
Current Cards:
American Express Blue Cash Preferred - March 2007 - CL $10,000
Citi Forward Visa Signature - September 2009 - CL $6,500
Chase Freedom - March 2011 - CL $15,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - May 2013 - CL $12,500
Discover It - November 2013 - $5,000
Barclay Arrival - January 2014 - $10,000
Message 2 of 5
tiger67
Regular Contributor

AmEx should have dated your new card with your prior member since date. You can check this online. If the member since date on the Starwood is the same as the Blue, all is good. It will report to the CRB's as actual month opened and year from your earlier card. If It is not showing this, just call AmEx and they will correct.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex will keep the year you open the card  the same year of the original card.  there this should not hurt your AAA,  but might actually help a little
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

As usual, you were all spot on and the inquiry wasn't wasted.  Got the card today in the mail and it was backdated to when I opened the blue.  A new account with a minimal ding since it improves my AAofA.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.