Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCE/BCP Cash Back Confusing

tag
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Amex BCE/BCP Cash Back Confusing

Does anyone else find the cashback on the BCE/BCP confusing? I know they don't give you your rewards until after the next month's statement posts, but my rewards balance on my statement never seems to make sense to what is reporting on my account. I'm assuming that Amex is doing it right and I am trusting them, but it still bothers me.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex BCE/BCP Cash Back Confusing

Once in a while I do an audit on mine and everything has always seemed to check out okay - I check to make sure the right purchases are getting their multipliers and everything. Although, I know some people have had discrepancies when the mall was open and you got 5x to 10x on purchases that they were not getting the multiplied points.

Message 2 of 7
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

In the comment review sections on Amex's site there are a lot of ppl who say its confusing and not always getting the proper reward amount.  So I take that you are not the only one.

I would keep track more closely with each transaction rather than solely relying on a trust factor.

Message 3 of 7
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

It took two months for me to get the $100 back on my BCE even tho i spent the 1k in the first week i received my card...
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 4 of 7
Cory
Established Contributor

Is Starbucks considered a restaurant? I was having this problem too last statement where I shop at a couple of restaurants (e.g., Salad Farm, Wendy's, Starbucks etc.)  and was not given the 2% cash back. I got the 1% only for all of the REST I listed. So, you are not alone, I too think that something is funny about AMEX rewards.

Message 5 of 7
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Cory wrote:

Is Starbucks considered a restaurant? I was having this problem too last statement where I shop at a couple of restaurants (e.g., Salad Farm, Wendy's, Starbucks etc.)  and was not given the 2% cash back. I got the 1% only for all of the REST I listed. So, you are not alone, I too think that something is funny about AMEX rewards.

AMEX's definition of restaurant probably did not extend to fast food and coffee shop. Use Citi Forward instead.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can look at your bill online, and near the bottom, it will tell you how much bonus they paid for each type of spend.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.