cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCE/BCP outrageous gas preauthorization?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex BCE/BCP outrageous gas preauthorization?

Now that the 5% back on gas for Chase Freedom is over, I went to fill up the car today with my BCE.

I just checked my account online and noticed a $200 preauthorization for the transaction. Have others experienced this?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
andre181
Established Contributor

Re: Amex BCE/BCP outrageous gas preauthorization?

That is strange, pre-auth amounts are set by the gas station, not the credit card issuer.

Is it the same gas station you usually use?

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@andre181 wrote:

That is strange, pre-auth amounts are set by the gas station, not the credit card issuer.

Is it the same gas station you usually use?

Yes, same one. On Freedom the preauth has always been $1 which is why I am quite shocked to see that amount.

Message 3 of 26
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Are these high preauths also on AMEX charge cards?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 26
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I bought gas with zync today. Will check author and report back!

Edit: quicktrip in Oklahoma pending transaction is the exact amount I spent on gas. Back when I used debit; it would only show 1 dollar
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 26
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@webhopper thanks! im getting gas tonight on AMEX so ill look for your response

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 26
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

It varies by station and also by the type of card you are using as to how much will be pre~authorized.    I always use my ZYNC and I just go inside to pay so that there is no pre~auth problem;  of course I have the $200 Hard Limit so I might be declined if I tried it at the pump.. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 26
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I honestly think the 1$ auth from chase was a ploy to make people incur overdraft fees for people who have a lot of gas charges
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 26
adavis425
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Now that the 5% back on gas for Chase Freedom is over, I went to fill up the car today with my BCE.

I just checked my account online and noticed a $200 preauthorization for the transaction. Have others experienced this?

I get this each time I purchase gas with my AMEX. Usually it's either $125 or $150, but reconciles in a day or two. The first time it happened I called the gas station and was told that the station sets the amount.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@adavis425 wrote:

I get this each time I purchase gas with my AMEX. Usually it's either $125 or $150, but reconciles in a day or two. The first time it happened I called the gas station and was told that the station sets the amount.

Same with me.  If I use our USAA Amex at the pump, the preauthorization is always some horrible outrageous amount.  My husband and I learned very quickly to NEVER swipe at the pump -- go inside!  Also, (in our case), when we have swiped at the pump, the preauthorization doesn't reconcile in a day or two, it takes 8-10 days.  As I said, we learned our lesson quickly on this one -- no more swiping at the pump with an AMEX!!!  

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.