Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCE Chances

tag
Joteism
Regular Contributor

Amex BCE Chances

So I took advantage of my IT card’s 14 month 0% APR and maintained a $2000 (+/- $200) balance on it. During the 12th months that I’ve had the card (and balance), the credit limit has gone from $2000 to $3900, so they’ve been very good to me! I was so sure that I could pay the entire balance by the time the offer expired, but late last month I lent about $4k to my sister due an emergency and she won’t be able to pay it back until April. I knew this as I offered to give her the money…

The question… I’ve had my eye on Amex’s BCE for quite some time now and thought that this could be a pretty good time to apply and take advantage of their 15 month 0% APR on purchases and BTs. The problem is that I don’t have any prior relationship with Amex and I’m not really sure if my profile is good enough for their revolvers. Do I even have a chance with my profile? I know I could probably qualify for Slate or some other BT card with Chase/Citi, but I had no intention of getting out of the garden unless it was to apply for Amex – That’s obviously before all this…   

Here’s what’s in my wallet…

Discover It                           $3900 ($2,000 balance)

Chase Amazon                  $2000 ($0)

Express Store Card          $750 ($0)

Cap 1 Secured                   $600 ($0)

Marriott FCU Secured    $500 ($0)

BOA 123 (AU)                    $500 ($0)

Scores:

TU: 740 (Discover Statement) (3 inq)

EQ: 728 (MyFico) (9 [6 from car purchase in one day])

EX: 735 (FAKO – Credit Sesame) (3 inq)

Auto Loan

AAoA – 2.5 yrs

1 transferred student loan with multiple lates from 6.5 years ago. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex BCE Chances

Pretty good chance. I'd pay that Discover down to $500 first though.

They will almost for sure pull Experian, 3 inq isnt bad. 

Maybe you should consider apping for a charge card first. And if approved, app immediately after for the BCE

Capital One Quicksilver MC $3000 6/2011 | Chase Amazon Visa $1400 8/2012 | Citi Diamond Preferred MC $4200 7/2013 | AMEX Green NPSL 8/2013 | Chase Freedom $1000 Visa 8/2013 | AMEX BCE $7000 2/2014 ==> 2/2013
Message 2 of 5
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@Joteism wrote:

So I took advantage of my IT card’s 14 month 0% APR and maintained a $2000 (+/- $200) balance on it. During the 12th months that I’ve had the card (and balance), the credit limit has gone from $2000 to $3900, so they’ve been very good to me! I was so sure that I could pay the entire balance by the time the offer expired, but late last month I lent about $4k to my sister due an emergency and she won’t be able to pay it back until April. I knew this as I offered to give her the money…

The question… I’ve had my eye on Amex’s BCE for quite some time now and thought that this could be a pretty good time to apply and take advantage of their 15 month 0% APR on purchases and BTs. The problem is that I don’t have any prior relationship with Amex and I’m not really sure if my profile is good enough for their revolvers. Do I even have a chance with my profile? I know I could probably qualify for Slate or some other BT card with Chase/Citi, but I had no intention of getting out of the garden unless it was to apply for Amex – That’s obviously before all this…   

Scores:

Auto Loan

AAoA – 2.5 yrs

Any baddies or lates?

If none, I think you should app. Amex pulled EX for me in Texas.

I think they'll at least match your Chase $2K and you can request a CLI in 60 days.

GL...YMMV.

Message 3 of 5
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@Joteism wrote:

Scores:

Auto Loan

AAoA – 2.5 yrs

Your profile looks good for an AMEX; lates that old may only hurt your credit limit (key word is MAY), and your reports look decent with inquiries, especially if you count the car loan ones on EQ as 1. Considering Chase and Discover let you in with good lines, you should be a shoe-in!

As long as you don't mind the BT fee (AMEX is pretty high --> 4%, but i would check your terms. That was the offer on my Blue Sky mailer), and plan to pay it down by April, shouldn't be a bit deal plus you'll have a card you actually want to keep in your wallet!

All the best!

Message 4 of 5
Joteism
Regular Contributor

If I could afford to pay it down to $500 right now, I wouldn't even be eyeing a new card Smiley Happy

The BT fee for the BCE is 3%, which seems to be pretty standard, so I'm fine with that. Oh boy... This is really the only other card I want!  

Thanks for the all the replies! I'm going to pull the trigger on the 12th, when my Discover statement cuts. I shall return to share my joy or misery!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.